Fish questions-reef tank

leigh

Hi all,
I recently started a small reef tank (50 gal) and not knowing what I was doing I used a yellow tailed blue damsel to cycle the tank. I have since added a dozen or so snails, a couple crabs, 4 feather dusters, and 2 mushroom coral colonies. My ideal long term would be to have a nice reef tank with perhaps 2-3 midsized interesting looking fish. However, I've heard that most small-medium size reef happy fish will be beaten up by the damsel? One fish store told me to get something that would eat the damsel, but most fish I know of that would eat the damsel would not be reef-friendly. So, my question is, what types of fish should I be thinking about? And should I keep building up the corals/live rock/invertebrates before I add another fish?
Sorry if this is a silly simple question, but I couldn't find anything this basic in previous threads!
Thanks,
leigh

foulbrew

Leigh,
I would seriously consider returning the damsel. You only get a few fish in a tank that size. I wouldn't waste the bio load on a damsel.
In my 46 (about the same size) I have 2 Percula Clowns, a Royal Gramma and a Scooter Blenny. I consider that tank at its limit of fish. I have 15-20 Astrea Snails, 4 nassarious snails, 1 fighting conch and about 15 hermits (Bluelegs & Scarlets). I consider this about right for the clean-up crew.
Do you have a sand bed? If so, how deep? This will help with your question about adding more of a cleanup crew.

nm reef

Welcome to the board...sounds like you've started a very nice reef. Good question about the dang damsel!
Myself I'd find a way to get ride of it...they can become a bit agressive. There are numerous fish to keep in a reef your size that would be more peaceful.
Maybe return the damsel to a LFS...and consider maybe a clown or a dwarf angel(nasty reprutation also).
In my 55 reef I have a tomato clown/coral beauty/hippo tang....and guess what else...the last remaining blue damsel from when I cycled my reef!! LOL...yup I do keep mine ...but I'd not suggest it .;)
Keep us posted on how your reef developes...sounds like you're on the right track to me.:cool:

scruz

i've had a blue devil(no yellow tail)since i set up my tank without any probs,their personality varies fish to fish. best to get them out but mine has been a good tank mate,occasional 'dash' at the others bu nothing deadly.

jarvis

You mentioned the fish store recomended you getting a larger fish to eat the damsel. I dont know if your asking for an easy way to remove him without moving out all the live rock and creating a major mess. Here it goes anyway...If you want to catch him. Take a net and place food in it. Feed the damsel for about a week this way. Then after he gets confortable with this snatch the little sob, put him in a bag of saltwater, fire up the batmobile, off to the petstore. Just make sure you dont look at him. He will give you a sad puppydog look, and you might be inclined to keep him.:p

leigh

LOL, thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, Jarvis I was thinking of trying to avoid disrupting things too much...that and frankly I'm a spaz when it comes to catching fish--even after years of freshwater tanks :) Somehow though the 'eh, just buy a lionfish' approach the fish store recommended didn't seem right. So, I think, based on the comments of Scruz, BigMac, and NMreef (thanks for the support) i may just keep the lil bugger. He's kinda grown on me, and after all, I may be a woman but even I'd feel guilty just using the little guy to cycle the tank then tossing him back to the big ocean :)
Thanks for the help!
-leigh

majakarot

IME yellow tailed blue damsels are some of the smallest and least agressive damsels, but that is only comparing it to other damsels... if you already have the lr set up then you probably wouldn't save yourself much work pulling it out now or later so IMO you might as well wait and see how it reacts to roomates