Fish Stores

killafins

Saturday was my first day at a fishstore in Groten called Fin and Feather. For once, I realized the other side. It was weird cuz like people were asking questions and stuff and like... i forgot half the answers.... it was horrible... after they left i was like crpa i should have told them that or man i wish that went better. I dunno, it was just weird.
Neways, I'm curious who else works at fishstores and how they like it...

I work at a local pet store as the reptile manager. I enjoy the job, but I personally find that people want to start asking you questions when your trying to restain a large Black throat monitor from eating your hand. With salt water it can be very irratating, you tell people what they need to do and they look at you like your nuts.
You just had the first day jitters, it will get better. But one warning about working at a pet store, you will end up with alot more animals you didn't have when you started :D
-Brian

P

puffygrrl

I started working at my LFS about a month ago and found the same thing. Not only did I forget half the answers, but didn't know as much as I thought :)
Two pieces of advice:
1.) Don't be afraid to say "I don't know" and ask a more experienced employee
2.) Read Read Read - books and here on the boards. I read almost all threads now just so I know a little about everything :)
GOOD LUCK!

overanalyzer

dude - just don't pull the "I'm so drunk" or "man if I wasn't stoned out of my mind right now I'd know that" line on your customers and you should be fine.
Also - it helps if you have a stock phrase or activity you can do to give you some time to let your thoughts catch up to you.
"Hmm intersting.... let me see what I can find for you" or try to get them to give you a mroe detailed question even though you know the jist of their question. What reef geek doesn't like totalk about their tank??
Good luck and let me know what kind of discount I can get if I drag my family out east for a visit - hahahahahaha

killafins

thnx guys... gud point....
and hahahaha... i'm sure i can scavenge some room in my apartment for u guys... I have a walk in closet with ur name on it :D

krowleey

Saturday was my first day at a fishstore in Groten called Fin and Feather
trip got a LFS here called fin and feather was well.