Flame Hawk - not eating

S

stando76

I picked up a flame hawk from the LFS lastnight and everything is going well except for feeding time. I have 5 damsels in the tank with the hawk for now. I am giving 4 of the damsels to a friend. Anyway when I feed the crew (mysis shrimp) the hawk does not join in. If some of it gets to the bottom the hawk will grab some then spit it out..... Is this normal? I know they like to hang on the bottom, but is that where they like to feed as well? Im just curious because I do not want to pour more food in and let it accumulate on the bottom.
Thanks in advance.
Stan

D

daniel411

I wouldn't worry about it if you've only had him one day. Do you enrich the mysis with any supplements? Like selcon, zoe, garlic, etc.?
Did you see him eat the same type of mysis at the lfs before picking him up? Was he qt'd at the lfs or by you?

S

stando76

Thanks for the reply...
I do not enrich the shrimp with anything. If I were to use garlic, is it as simple as just soaking it in the water with some garlic? Other than feeding he seems quite active.
As far as QT'ing... I do not have a tank right now to do this. He was picked up a LFS with a great reputation (but expensive). And yes he was active at the LFS as well but I did not ask them to feed him. Im still learning.
Thanks for your help.

D

daniel411

Don't worry, we're all learning. Thats what we're here for. I wouldn't worry about the flame hawk until its been a few days, especially if he's otherwise active and healthy. You may want to pick this up though, its a good supplement to add as well as enticing fish to eat. About $8. Good luck and welcome to the board.

oyam1

get damsels out ASAP.
my hawk was the first to show sighns of stress from other fish.
they also like to eat larger size food. lg.krill etc.
keep stress low in tank and no over-stocking, or the hawk will not make it...:happyfish

S

stando76

Ok, so I got 4 out of the 5 damsels out of the tank. The hawk stilll does not come up to feed. What I have been doing is letting a piece of the krill get to the bottom and it eventually disappears. Im pretty sure the hawk is getting to it, because the piece is to large for the remaining damsel and the crabs.
Typically do they come to the top to feed or will they grab whats on the bottom? He seems to be doing alot of hiding rather than swimmng around. Is this normal?
Thanks
Stan

neutronics

Usually flame hawks are greedy bold fishes. Mine is very bold and stay in the open all the time.
They will hover in front looking up the top of the water surface to ask for food when you come near the tank.
If yours is still new, try dropping some pellets to the sandbed area where the flamehawk is around/always hanging around. They love chunky meaty food. I'm sure they will greedily eat them in a day or two. They are one of the very hardy fishes (and expensive too) around.

marineman

my flame hawk is very active and tends to "perch" on higher areas in the tank. also never has been shy about eating. he likes frozen mysis, brine, raw cut up shrimp and pellets. my want to call lfs where you got him to see if they had him eating and if so what type of foods. good luck

S

stando76

Thanks for all the answers. I have tried some of the suggestions but its still not eating. Ill give it some more time.
Thanks again.
Stan

S

stando76

Not really, I spoke to the LFS and they recommended Black Worms. I tried them but he only grabs them if they float past his mouth. I am hoping he comes out of this soon.

S

stando76

not white but hes not a bright red. He really just goes between two spots in the tank and thats it. He seems to be breathing harder than the damsel I have in the tank as well. Ill keep you posted.

S

stando76

not white but hes not a bright red. He really just goes between two spots in the tank and thats it. He seems to be breathing harder than the damsel I have in the tank as well. Ill keep you posted.

oyam1

not good
try and keep things stress free
less lights less trying to feed it, etc.
it sems hes not aclamating well.:nervous:

oyam1

wow melody your fish are real pets....
thats good news for standos hawk.
we all hope he makes it.
:jumping:

S

stando76

Well I awoke this morning to find the hawk on its side on the bottom of the tank. I took some water to the LFS and explained the whole story to them. They tested the water and everything was fine and gave me a new hawk for nothing. They appreciated all the things that I tried to keep the fish alive but they agreeded that something was wrong. This time they fed the hawk for me and he ate like a pig. I also picked up a blue spotted puffer.... its a very cool fish. Anyway thanks for all the help, I hope these do much better. FYI So far so good.