fliter making funny noise, fish dead

nostradamus

i have an aqua clear 40-70 gallon filter in my 55 gallon tank. i recently purchased the filter 2 days ago. i arrived home this afternoon to one of my fish being dead. Later on this evening as i was watching tv i suddenly heard an almost gargling sound coming from my filter. First i took it apart then i tried playing with the propeller and when i plugged it back in it didn't make the noise for a of couple minutes, then it started doing it again. there was nothing caught in the propeller or anything that looked out of the ordinary. What is going on with my filter? Could the death of my fish be related to this problem?

yannifish

I doubt the filter making noise is related to the fish death, unless it is leaking electricity into the water (I'd be surprised).
When you replaced the filter, did you get rid of all the old filter media?
Is there live rock in the tank? How much?
How old is the tank? What fish are in it?
What other forms of filtration do you have besides the filter that is making noise?
What are your ammonia and nitrate levels like?
The fish just died? How long have you had it, what kind of fish is it, where there and spots on it, what do you feed?

al&burke

I had the same problem once make sure you push the impeller in all the way and make sure the locking ring is locked all the way.

1guydude

I believe the aqualclears say that u need to run them fully open for the 1st day to break em in! Did u do this?

nostradamus

yes I did, and im assuming the fish died cause the propeller wasnt spinning so the filter wasnt sucking anything through so they had the effect of having no filter for a while and he was just the unlucky one

S

siptang

nostradamus - I think you hit it on the dot.
Exchange that filter asap and do some water changes for your tank.
Sorry about your fish.