Flow rate in FOWLR

bpro32

I'm setting up a 60g fowlr. I'm more of a reefer so I like 30-40x turnover in my tanks but I know I don't need that much in a fish only tank. What kind of turnover do I need? I've always read 10x is that right?

aquaknight

To be honest, the more the merrier (to a point). Most fish that go into a fowlr are just as capable swimmers, if not more so, then most 'reef fish.' Unless you are going for specifc fish that aren't the best swimmers, puffers, lionship, frogfish, etc, I really don't see a reason to have lower flow rates. It's just like a reef tank, strong water movement is good, but a bunch of jets blasting everything isn't really good.
And not to pry into your personal stuff, but everytime I hear "fowlr and a tank under 70gals or so" I cringe a bit. Hopefully you are planning on an appropriate stocklist for that sized tank? Or if you're doing like some species frogfish tank or something, I should have shut my pie hole long ago..

R

rcreations

I have about 30x in my 150gal FOWLR and the fish love it.

bpro32

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3079352
To be honest, the more the merrier (to a point). Most fish that go into a fowlr are just as capable swimmers, if not more so, then most 'reef fish.' Unless you are going for specifc fish that aren't the best swimmers, puffers, lionship, frogfish, etc, I really don't see a reason to have lower flow rates. It's just like a reef tank, strong water movement is good, but a bunch of jets blasting everything isn't really good.
And not to pry into your personal stuff, but everytime I hear "fowlr and a tank under 70gals or so" I cringe a bit. Hopefully you are planning on an appropriate stocklist for that sized tank? Or if you're doing like some species frogfish tank or something, I should have shut my pie hole long ago..
The more you pry the better my fish will do. I agree with you. I've seen 55g fowlr's with big koran angels so I know what you're saying. I'm making sure to stay within the tank limits. A dwarf lion (that needs lower flow) is the only fish I know for sure that I want. Others that I am considering--> heni bfly, kleins bfly, flame angel, maroon clown with nem, snowflake eel... something along those lines. Do you guys have any suggestions or advice on the stock list.
I was also thinking of getting a couple big chromis-- the body is tall enough that it looks like it wont be eaten by the lion but I can't be sure of that.