flow/Turnover in 125Fowlr

shawna1972

Hi Everyone,
Im still trying to figure out the best way to go without a sump.
My question is would 2 -koralia #4's and 2 aquaclears 110's Hob and a corallife super skimmer be enough flow / turnover for Fowlr or do I need more filters or powerheads?
and can I keep all fish healthy this way without a sump?

scsinet

A FOWLR doesn't need much flow.
The Koralia's might actually be a bit much... these things haul some water.
I have to ask... why no sump? Sumps rock.

shawna1972

Its just something that added more problems/worries for me lol I know sounds funny but since the sump had all kinds of problems red cyano, skimmer kept fluctuating in sump had to keep adjusting ,evaporation ect...I didnt check the sump for 2 days and when I did it was 1/4 in from my heater ! it just seems like a hassle to me. I always woried something was going to spring a leak " I have 5 cats" and my hoses were the one thing they liked to batt around lol so Im better off with HOB for now "It will ease my mind" lol
But do you think the 2 hob aquaclears are good or do I need more?

scsinet

couldn't tell you on the aquaclears... not familiar with them.
If you have live rock and a protein skimmer, with those koralias, you may not need any HOB filters at all if that tells you anything.

shawna1972

Alright thanks,
I planned on getting more live rock anyway because I don't have 1lb per gallon so I'm actually under.
but thanks for the reply

C

curve

I run a 1200gph return pump and 2 koralia #3's in my 135 and it seems to be perfect. I only have about 40lbs. of live rick b/c this is a stingray tank. I have no problems. I even thought about going to #4's.

metweezer

Originally Posted by shawna1972
http:///forum/post/2607850
Hi Everyone,
Im still trying to figure out the best way to go without a sump.
My question is would 2 -koralia #4's and 2 aquaclears 110's Hob and a corallife super skimmer be enough flow / turnover for Fowlr or do I need more filters or powerheads?
and can I keep all fish healthy this way without a sump?
How about 2 emperor 400's instead of the aquaclears

canman

I have a 125 w/ a typhoon hob skimmer, jbl 4 stage cannister, and 2 koralia#2's and my fish have been doing fine. It is also a fowlr. I would go for the caninister vs the hob aquaclear

shawna1972

Thanks everyone for your imput

I thought about the emperors but someone said they always have problems
with the biowheel?
Canisters where also in the back of my mind but I had a fluval 405 and was not happy with it I was looking at the magnums but have not got a lot of imput on them as of yet.