? for purple firefish experts...opinions pls

92protruck

I purchased 2 purple firefish 5 or 6 months ago. They went thru 30 days QT and then into DT where they shared the same hole and were best buds for 3 months. Then they decided they hated each other and chased, bit, and harassed each other nearly too the death. I caught one (pure luck) and put him in the QT (20 gal). Both have fully recovered and grown their fins back. Question...is there a fish I could add to the QT so the one firefish is not alone without him harassing it too death? Is there a likelihood of this apparently territorial agressive firefish bothering another fish or more likely that he just bothers another firefish or similar? I was thinking of a yellow clown goby but if he is gonna be mean then I just have more problems. Second question...the firefish that stayed in the DT is now being harrassed by a once nice now vicious 6 line wrasse. He stays in his hole 24/7 and everytime he pokes his head out the wrasse charges at him and you don't see him for another day or two. It has been like this for a couple weeks. I have to hand feed him in his hole otherwise he will starve. This is a pain! Catching either the wrasse or the remaining firefish is pretty much out of the question. Any suggestions? Do you think he will ever get the courage to challange the wrasse and stay out or will he eventually die in his hole? Tank inhabitints are 2 occ. clowns, 6 line, purple firefish in a 72 gal with about 150 lbs LR. I thought it would be the most peaceful tank ever set up...Wrong!! The 6 line also keeps the clowns pinned in their nest but they will venture out for a quick bite then retreat. Any suggestions appreciated.

psusocr1

i dont think two purple fish are supposed ot be housed otgether or it will result in a fight.. im not totally sure though
but i do have mine with clowns and clown gobies etc. theya ll get along fine

saltn00b

usually firefish are schooling fish and they are fine in pairs or groups. never heard of them fighting. when i put my 2 firefish in my tank they were always swimming together and out in the front of the tank. then i added a pink square anthias that turned out to be a male and so it is quite aggressive. the first day it 'rushed' all of its new tankmates to sort of test them. the firefish were scared for their lives and after a few rushes they hid under a rock and almost never came out. once in a while i would see an eye, and then later a head would dart out to get close food. eventually i saw the serpent star in there feasting so i figured they both died. a few weeks later i saw a flash of purple in another part of the tank and it was the bolder, less scared of the two. he hides behind rocks and has gotten a little braver over the months but it still frightened by any sudden movements and the sight of the PSA.

dogstar

Firefish live in groups untill they become sexually mature and then they pair up and get territorial and same sexes will fight if not a large enough system for them to have their space...they are a timid species and will perish if picked on by more agressive tankmates....