For the Toad People

doboy

There's been a lot of questions about Toadstool Leathers (including my own) lately.
I thought this would help. I bought a Toadstool two weeks ago. When I put him in, my water parameters were:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2 ppm
DKH 8
pH 8.2
Phosphate less than .2 mg/L
SG 1.024
Temp 79
I put him in and moved him a couple times. He was mad from the ordeal, and looked like this:

doboy

Then, he opened up real nice (sorry, no picture) and stayed that way for about three days. All of a sudden, I thought I was doing something wrong becuase he looked like this:

doboy

Then, he straightened back up pulled all his polyps in, and got all glossy looking. He stayed that way for a week. I read a few posts about shedding, so I figured that's what it was. Then, Yesterday, the glossy coat turned kind of brownish. I was sure he was dying. Then, this morning I looked at him, and the brown gloss is coming off. And his polyps are starting to extend. I guess he's OK after all! Here he is this morning:

Nice lookin' toadstool! I've got several, and on any given day they look different---some days they're fully extended, others they're just limp and dead looking. I help out the shedding with a turkey baster (blow it off) to make em happy, and a few hours later---good as new! Good luck with it! :)

O

ogdog30

I'm gunna get one, so could you turn this into a keepers guide?
And mabye it'll go sticky! :thinking:

doboy

My toad is attached to a small rock, which are buried in the sand. He seems to like it there

oceana

here is a pic of mine under nothing but pc. ALOT of pc but still.
we now have MH and pc but it seems to be doing no better now then it was then. with pc only we sat in the 7-8 watt per gallon range. now its about 8-9 but with pc and a 175 mh
this pic is when only the dusk light are so its kinda dark but you can see it does just fine