Four Sharks die at Moody Gardens

rudedog40

GALVESTON, Texas (AP) - Officials say four sharks on display at Galveston's Moody Gardens aquarium have died after the ozone level in the water spiked.
Divers at Moody Gardens Aquarium tried for almost an hour yesterday to revive two of the sharks by injecting them with steroids before declaring them dead with the other pair. Moody Gardens spokeswoman Jerri Hamachek says no other aquarium animals were affected.
Ozone is pumped into the tank to kill bacteria and parasites and to clarify the water, but aquarium staff members are unsure why the ozone levels rose to dangerous levels. Hamachek says this is the first time this issue has come up in the nine years the exhibit's been open.
Two blacktip sharks from the Gulf of Mexico were among the dead fish, along with an Atlantic sharpnose shark and a blacknose shark.
Now there's something I didn't know aquariums did. Wonder what ozone would do to a tank inflicted with ich? What type of marine life does excess ozone kill? Where do you get ozone, sparay a bunch of R-12 freon into the tank?

ophiura

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Sad to say. This is why I am always hesitant to use ozone. IME in the industry, several tanks of fish were lost.
Public aquaria frequently use ozone on many of their tanks. You use ozone generators, often used in the hobby too. Can kill you, can kill your fish...if not used properly and even the pros have problems now and then.

stdreb27

Ozone can kill just about anything in a tank. It is used pretty widely in europe and japan, but hadn't made the jump here. Usually they use it in skimmers where the bubbling dissapates the ozone before it goes back into the take system. And you really need a redox (I think that is what it is called) meter so you can get an idea of the ozone levels in your tank. Ozone is generated when you charge oxygen particles, so you don't need a tankor anything the ozone setup just pulls in air and charges it if I'm not mistaken.