FoxFace Purchase?

neosoulman

I'm debating whether I should get a foxface at my LFS. I hear that they are poisonus which is the only reason why I'm debating it. He looks like a really cool fish. I've read a few posts about them changing colors and such when you first acclimate them.
I have an 80 gal tank with 2 clowns, a blenny and a 2 shrimp with about 60 lb of live rock. Water paramaters are fine.
Wondering if there are any pros/cons to getting a foxface and if I should even worry about the fact they are poisionus. They are fairly hardy fish right and reef safe right?

carshark

I love my foxface, and answering to these threads never get old. they are somewhat reef safe. i think you may have to monitor them with certain corals, but for the most part very good additions. as far as the poisonous factor. as long as you pay attention when putting your hand in the tank, no problem. usually he will swim to the other side when my hands go in. very good with other fish, very hardy, and loves a companion. make sure you feed him greens. he likes meats but should always have ample greens to eat. algae sheets work well if you dont have an endless supply of algae for him to eat.

kiharaconn

I love my Foxface. At first when I put mine in he hid for a day or two. But after that he would swim away when I approached the tank. Now he follows me around the tank and eats out of my hand. He also nibbles at my arm anytime I'm doing anything in the tank. The only time you would have to worry is when he is stressed. You can tell that by his color. Mine will hide and change color every evening when he settles in for the night. I usually don't see him until mid morning either. In addition to feeding seaweed I also feed him romaine lettuce and spinich.

tnt

I really enjoy my foxface also. I wouldn't worry about the venomous factor either. As Carshark said, just be aware of the fish when working in the tank. Mine eats pellets, flakes, and seaweed sheets as well as nibbles on the rockwork. I think they add nice color to the tank. I'm glad Kiharaconn mentioned feeding romaine and spinach, I was wondering if they liked it.

mr.p

Get the fish. I love my foxface as well, I'm glad I bought him instead of a baby sailfin Tang.

neosoulman

thanks everyone for the input.
although it does make me a little nervous about sticking my hand in there when i need to move some rock around.
has anyone know of, or heard of anyone getting bit by a foxface and actually dying or going to the hospital, anything of that nature?

popnfrresh

My foxface is awesome. But tends to be the opposite in terms of moving when you stick your hands in the tank. When i stick my hand in the tank to get the algae clip he comes right up to me. I have to hold him back with a spare AquaClear 300 intake tube.

I love my foxface . I can even hand feed em. As for the venom it will be enough to be very very very painful but should not warrent death.