Foxface with HLLE

prime311

The foxface in my tank appears to be suffering from HLLE. Part of his nose was almost missing and is now healed back, but now his tail is nearly gone. The Lateral Line is clearly visible and his body just looks unhealthy, his eye are also very cloudy. I'm afraid part of the issue is from stress related to my Harlequin Tusk, who can be very aggressive but Ive never seen him chasing the Foxface or anything so this is just a guess. The foxface is fed Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 soaked in Selcon every other day and also eats some of the remains of the meaty foods I feed my other fish. He appears to be feeding normally. There are no traces of Ammonia or Nitrite in the tank and my other fish are all perfectly healthy. I just don't know what to do now. I could move the Foxface to a QT tank but I don't want to stress him out even more. Should I leave him in the tank and hope he pulls through or moved him to qt? Another option would be to move him into my sump/chaeto area that is almost the size of a 20 gallon tank on its own. Anything else I can do to maybe help his diet?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You can bet that missing tail means

[hr]
aggression going on. Its sounds to me like this fish needs to move to quarantine tank for recuperation and treatment. Can you post pictures of the fish?
Take a look at the info on HLLE located in the FAQ Topic, if you haven't already.

prime311

I'm not ignoring you or anything, my wife sold our camera and I've been waiting for her to get a new one. I'll post a picture soon. The Fox does seem to be a little better though. I recently added a Humu from my QT, I know the Humu wasn't the cause of problems cause the Foxface issues started earlier, but I think the Tusk is too occupied with the Humu now to mess with the other fish. Both my foxface and flame angel have been out more and the foxface natural color is returning(less spotty). He does still look a bit emaciated like hes not eating enough so I might still move him to my sump. Once I can get a pic I'll post it.
I actually feel better knowing that its probably caused by aggression because at least I know how to deal with that. The tusk is gonna get a 2 week timeout in qt while I readjust my rock arrangements if he keeps this behavior up. Its funny I never had a problem before my Puffer deciding to go carpet diving now the Tusk seems to think hes king of the tank.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The best practice is always to QT one fish at a time, unless there is a very specific reason not to, such as purchasing a mated pair. Part of the QT process is for newly acquired fish to recuperate from the stressful situations they have undergone prior to reaching their final destination in your display tank. Fish can't do that in a community QT, especially with aggression going on.