Freshest live rock - where?

ron thomas

I would apprecate suggestions on ordering live rock for the 180-gallon I will be setting up. When I set up a 55-gallon tank, the live rock came from the local lfs. Selection was limited and the rock was mostly devoid of visible lilfe except for a few spots of coralline. I would really like to find a source that arrives at my door with lots of life on it such as I see in the photos on some vendors' web sites. For example, the description from {EDIT}sounds very nice.
Thanks.

chipmaker

I seem to think they pull those pieces for the visual impact they make, and if yu did ever get any that looked even remotely like them it would be a miracle. Oh you may find a shroom or two here and there and smlal sponges etc and some internal critters, but for the most part its coraline coverage and density that makes live rock what it is and why its sold, not for the additional hitch hikers on it... My lfs has two huge 12 foot diameter tanks about 2 feet or so deep with live rock in it. Price is per pound of LR only, polyps are not included in that price, so if you pick out a chunk of LR and upon looking at it, it has 2 polyps of say a mushroom, thats an additional $5.00 per polyp for a shroom of the common variety on top of the live rock preice per pound.

teresaq

look on the auction site. I bought some, and it was very nice. it needed to be cured, but i just put it in a rubermaid tub for a few weeks.

mystic7

Where in NC are you? In the Charlotte area there's a store called Fintastic that has REALLY nice rock with all sorts of things growing on it. Mind you some of it's pricey, but if you want some juicy live rock, that's the place to go.

saltwater8

I guess we can't post sites here....
*Plz do not post email addresses to get competitor site links*
If you like this liverock, let me know.
Shipping is a bit more because they ship it with some water and use ice packs to ensure the stuff stays alive...

ron thomas

That looks like Indonesian. I'm in central North Carolina and just down the road from a vendeor who sells only Indonesian live rock now. I was thinking of visiting the facility and picking out some Indonesian rock. What do you think of that rocik?

ophiura

Note:
Out of respect to the owner and operator of this site, we ask that you please not request links, or post links to other stores. Local discussion is fine.
Thanks!

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Ron Thomas
That looks like Indonesian. I'm in central North Carolina and just down the road from a vendeor who sells only Indonesian live rock now. I was thinking of visiting the facility and picking out some Indonesian rock. What do you think of that rocik?

I am in Raleigh, where are you?
Mc

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Saltwater8
Yup, I believe that is the place.
It is in Apex.

APex? What LFS is in APEX? I would really like to know! I am 1 mile from there.
Mc

saltwater8

Ill tell ya if you promise to check it out and give us some feedback, lol, jk

Since it's OK to give you local info, its a place called:
Reef Science
3800 Wesley Ridge Dr.
Apex, NC 27539
***)

grumpygils

Ill tell ya if you promise to check it out and give us some feedback, lol, jk

Since it's OK to give you local info, its a place called:
Reef Science
3800 Wesley Ridge Dr.
Apex, NC 27539
***)
I am on it! I will go there this Sat if open

grumpygils

Originally Posted by grumpygils
I am on it! I will go there this Sat if open
Do they do it from a home (saw PIC of the house)? That address is a home about 5 minutes from me.
Mc

saltwater8

Hmm, that's the address on their site....
Since we can't post sites on here, do a search for it, it's a very professional looking site...

grumpygils

Since we can't post sites on here, do a search for it, it's a very professional looking site...
I can't find it? Can you shoot me an e-mail of the site? Mcflylab@aol.com
Thxs,
Mc

grumpygils

Found their site. Left v-mail and e-mail. It is Saturday and I would love to go over there. It must be out of the garage?
Mc

grumpygils

Let us know...
Thanks!

Just got back from reef science. He does shipping and appointments only. I went to his facility and he has a huge selection of corals and clams at very good prices. Nice guy and very knowledgeable! He has more coral in his shop than our LFS with 10,000 square feet. I have no room for any more coral and picked up 4 peices.....had to. Has has lots of rare LPS,SPS and clams. He can get about anything and deliver with good prices. As far as live rock, I will defintely buy from him. In fact, I am going to start an exchange program on my 92. That indonesian rock is totally covered with coraline and many has polyps, featherdusters and one had ricordia. I think it is around 5-6 a pound, and the rock he had in looked as good or better than the PICs on this thread. If you are buying any decent amount of rock or coral, I would use him. He is 3 miles from my house and that saves me 45 rt to the LFS.
Mc