Frozen food came to life.

agent707

I swear... I was feeding my fish just the other day some mixture of frozen stuff when I watched a small piece floating to the bottom. When it landed, it jumped to it's feet!
It was a tiny little shrimp looking thing. Probably krill. I could see it's parts moving as it sat there curled up... and after about 5 minutes, it straightend out and crawled away.
Just days before the wife and I were doing our nightly "looking at the tank closely to see what cool stuff we could find" and I saw a small one of these running around the bottom. I had no idea where it came from.
Has anyone ever seen this happen?
Too weird. :notsure:

bigarn

The things you saw scooting along the bottom of the tank at night were probably Pods ... a good sign.

saltn00b

well when people used to buy those 'sea monkeys' arent they frozen brine shrimp that come to life when thawed , or to some effect ?

bigarn

Originally Posted by saltn00b
well when people used to buy those 'sea monkeys' arent they frozen brine shrimp that come to life when thawed , or to some effect ?
Ahhh .... case solved as far as seeing them come to life, I've known about sea monkeys also but was afraid to mention them. However, the things you see at night are probably pods.

engineer

Either way they arent gonna survive, when they freeze dry something they take it to a negative atmospheric pressure(basically an un imaginable ammount of vacuum) so the cells would be crushed.

engineer

Originally Posted by saltn00b
they may have been freeze dried
I THINK the sea monkey were just things you had to hatch (so to speak)

L

lpuzon

Originally Posted by My Way
Can I have some of what your smoking?

I agree with Bigarn, sounds like Pods or Mysis.

ahahahha! nice one guys!

hot883

Sea Monkeye AKA Brine Shrimp are not frozen. I think they are dormant eggs are'nt they?
yes, just like the eggs you can buy at any LFS. add them to water Viola, brine.
It was not brine though what he saw because when they hatch they are to small. maybe the current was blowing it around.

my way

Originally Posted by hot883
yes, just like the eggs you can buy at any LFS. add them to water Viola, brine.
It was not brine though what he saw because when they hatch they are to small. maybe the current was blowing it around.
I was'nt saying they were Brine, I was just answereing about the Sea Monkeys.
I think a piece of the frozen food fell on or near a pod and it looked like it came to life.

hot883

I was'nt saying they were Brine, I was just answereing about the Sea Monkeys.
I think a piece of the frozen food fell on or near a pod and it looked like it came to life.
Aw! ok, just read into I guess. Consider myself counseled! :hilarious

xdave

In 10th grade biology I made my disected frogs heart beat with a 9v radio battery.
Were you mad when your sea monkeys weren't wearing little crowns? I was mad when I saw what happened when my dad said "lets put them in the aquarium where they'll be happier!". Like he didnt know!

gen1dustin

Yeah sea monkeys are brne shrimp. Just dried eggs that will hatch when added to water. Some killifish eggs do the same thing.

agent707

I agree... If I didn't know me, I'd say I was smoking something too... but I saw what I saw. Quite a coincidence something like that floating around right when I was feeding I think.
Sea monkeys. hehehehe. Most popular in Mad magazine.
Yes, just dormant eggs... they have to hatch and grow. This was not a brine shrimp I saw. Bigger. Could be a "pod" as you say. I'm not exactly sure what one looks like. If I saw a macro photo of one I could identify.
Never the less, I am entitled to believe my frozen food came to life if I want to. hehe