Frustrated adding new fish

At one time, I have total of 8 clownfish, due to electronic problem, I lost six of them, I just add two back and I never have any problem with clownfish.

I will suggest add a bicolor angelfish (I just did), she helps to eat algae a lot. I have her since Thursday and I have no problem so far, I also add another angelfish

bang guy

Mostly damsels tho, u think still too many?
Again, just my opinion. Many Damsels are hyperactive and therefore increase the bioload disproportionately. That said, the big issue isn't bioload, it's space. You can cram 100 fish into a freshwater tank successfully because they can handle being close to each other. Most Saltwater fish have a much greater requirement for personal space and get very stressed when overcrowded.

jay0705

Again, just my opinion. Many Damsels are hyperactive and therefore increase the bioload disproportionately. That said, the big issue isn't bioload, it's space. You can cram 100 fish into a freshwater tank successfully because they can handle being close to each other. Most Saltwater fish have a much greater requirement for personal space and get very stressed when overcrowded.
Good point, space requirements are very diff for sw. The rabbit will get big too. Mine is about 9" and its a one spot. The smaller of the fox face rabbits

Nursemom76

I can't say the current amount of fish affects who lives and who doesn't as when I started the tank, there were only two clowns and it's been an uphill battle to find what works. I love my foxface and am so glad he's doing well. I want to get this tank down so that when I upgrade I don't run into the same problems and can better judge what fish I want and what will do well in a larger tank.

aduvall

Coperband is supposed to be one of te hardest.

How long did your angels make it? This really is a little odd. I lost a few during my firt few months (chromis and cardinals fighting it out) but once it settled down the only fish I've lost was an angel after a major water change that I think shifted things too quickly.

Guys is there any chance it's hard metals or something she isn't testing for?

jay0705

Honestly its the choice of fish I believe. As bang guy pointed out the number of fish plays a role. But butterflies are hard to keep by many of us, bi colored angles dont have the best survival rate either. Corals are fairly hardy but do need an established tank.
Is your tanked already to capacity? It really depends on who u ask. As far as upgrading, the bigger the tank the easier it will be to maintain. Get a list of fish u want in your new tank, list it here and people will try and direct you down the most successful path

I have added one bicolor and one Pygmy Angelfish at the same time, so far it went well. I will add three more angelfish (flame, coral and lemon) in next sixth months if all of them ARE ALIVE.

Let me know what your total cost is after you do this, bc it will result in expensive sushi
So far is $35. I have to figure out how to create position that the bicolor can not kill Pygmy, so far it worked, the Pygmy have three paths/hiding places that the bicolor angel cannot go in, once in the blue moon that they are swim together. Also Bicolor angel are too busy to ate algae with the puffer.

aduvall

Nurse,

Since you have hair algae problem, do you use tap water? Or did anyone in here that use tap water have hair algae problem?
She said she had a coralline algea burst. Which I the hard purple/red you get on live rock.

And yes when I first started I used tap water and had horrid hair algea.

Last edited: