Gardening question for all you gardeners out there.

anonome

Now is spring bulb planting time. I have been busy trying to get my ideas on paper so I can plant. I absolutely love tulips.......but so do my squirrels.
I have lots of them!!! Besides a gun.....(not that I haven't thought about it) can anyone recommend a spray, or technique that has worked for them to keep the squirrels away from the flowers. Last year I got beautiful colored ones and the squirrels ate all the flowers off. All I had was foliage and a stem.
Not exactly my idea of a colorful spring garden. I know I can plant daffodils, which they tend to ignore, but I really want tulips. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

jennythebugg

i happen to be an avid skwerl watcher/lover. if you put out better food for them they will leave the flowers alone. they are more apt to eat something they can pick up and take with them

kazara

We have put out food for them and that seems to work. I have also heard about peeing around the planting area and that will work. have never tried that.

rykna

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
http:///forum/post/2773585
i happen to be an avid skwerl watcher/lover. if you put out better food for them they will leave the flowers alone. they are more apt to eat something they can pick up and take with them

Dido
I always put out a variety buffet for our squirrels on one side of the deck and the birds get the other side. Very similar to setting up a tank

anonome

I did feed them, and it didn't seem to make a difference. We have tons of them, a few I can handle, but I think they invited all their relatives for a long extended visit. You would think that with all the oak trees around, and tons of acorns they would be set for the spring/summer. I go through so much bird seed it isn't funny. I haven't tried corn though, maybe I can try that. Don't get me wrong, I do like them for the most part....just leave my flowers alone!!! The little ones in the spring are fun to watch.
Kazara, I would hate to try to explain to the neighbors why I am peeing in the garden.
But, I know that some people use coyote urine to keep deer away. We have deer nearby, but so far knock on wood, they have left my garden alone. We have dogs, so that may be why. Thanks all.

rykna

A friend of my has similar problems with deer. Her defense is a movement automated water sprayer. Works great she said. Keeps the deer of her flower beds and apple trees.

kazara

Originally Posted by Anonome
http:///forum/post/2773614
Kazara, I would hate to try to explain to the neighbors why I am peeing in the garden.
But, I know that some people use coyote urine to keep deer away. We have deer nearby, but so far knock on wood, they have left my garden alone. We have dogs, so that may be why. Thanks all.
Yeah thats why
i have not tried it.

michaeltx

what we have done in the past was the smallest chicken wire fence or smaller if you can find it laid over weed-x weed fabric weighted down with bricks so that they couldnt get to the bulbs in the first place. it still lets water and air to the bulbs without the risk of the bulbs rotting from to much dampness.
it worked in our case it might be something you might think about.
Mike