General question

M

monsterm

Hi guys,
I have a 75g mature tank. I recently lost about 4 of my fish to some disease.
I don't even know what it was they died so quickly. It was a matter of days if I could recall. Now I am trying to restock my tank. I have a clown and a damsel left in the tank. What I wanted to know is how much fish can I add at one time? I placed a big order online and I plan to add 8 fish. The fish that I ordered range anywhere from 1-2 inches. I did a little research online an some said that because I have a mature tank that adding all of them would not harm the biological filtration. Is that true or should I add them 1 by one?
Thanks

anthropo

you shouldn't have bought 8 fish at once. you mine as well throw money out the window. there's a possibility that your fish will live but in the future one or 2 fish at a time.

1journeyman

Adding 8 fish is going to stress your Bio filtration.
Also, after having a disease in your tank the best thing to do is to remove your fish, place them in a quarantine tank, and let your display tank run fishless for a length of time. That way hopefully the disease/parasite dies off. As it is now, there is a good chance the new fish will simply enter a sick environment.

jonthefishguy

First, how do you know it was a disease. Just because 4 died at the same time doesn't make it a disease. There seems to be more to it than just that. Plus you mentioned it was a 75 gallon with a clownfish and a damsel. What kind of clownfish and what kind of damsel. Could it be that it your damsel might be an aggressive one and killed off the others. Could it be that your clown fish is an agressive species and done the same thing. Maybe it was a water quality issue. Without you posting your specs, it is hard to say. However, the more important issue at hand is what 8 fish did you purchase. Hopefully you didnt buy juvenile fish that get too large for them all to keep in a 75 gallon.

lion_crazz

Unfortunately, this is very true. Adding eight fish to a tank that was just almost completely wiped out from a disease is never a good thing, and just may help the disease proliferate even more.
The best thing you could have done was to place the clown and damsel in something like a 10 gallon quarantine and let the display run fishlessly for about 6 to 8 weeks. This would have killed the disease so that it does not hurt future fish. You very well could have had velvet if it killed that many fish in a matter of days.

M

monsterm

thanks for the replies. It has been 2 months since my fish died and the clown and damsel are healthy. And I have a false perc. and a blue damsel. The fish that I bought are:
False Perc.
4 green cromis
Juvi emperor
royal gammar
Yellow wrasse
I was thinking of maybe putting about half of them in at first, leaving the others in the QT for a bit. How long should I wait to place the second batch in? Or should I just put them all in to reduce stress?

maddog0118

to put your new fish in....i got a fish once the next day from the stress got ick...the store i went to were selling them the same day they got it in so it went from plane to store and my tank in the same day.....so i learned all new fish go to qt tank

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by monsterM
Hi guys,
I don't even know what it was they died so quickly. It was a matter of days if I could recall. Now I am trying to restock my tank. I have a clown and a damsel left in the tank. What I wanted to know is how much fish can I add at one time? I placed a big order online and I plan to add 8 fish. The fish that I ordered range anywhere from 1-2 inches. I did a little research online an some said that because I have a mature tank that adding all of them would not harm the biological filtration. Is that true or should I add them 1 by one?
Thanks
Why dont you try and figure out what kind of disease you had that killed your first 4 fish before you continue.. no? I think that would be the more appropriate course of action.

sepulatian

thanks for the replies. It has been 2 months since my fish died and the clown and damsel are healthy. And I have a false perc. and a blue damsel. The fish that I bought are:
False Perc.
4 green cromis
Juvi emperor
royal gammar
Yellow wrasse
I was thinking of maybe putting about half of them in at first, leaving the others in the QT for a bit. How long should I wait to place the second batch in? Or should I just put them all in to reduce stress?
Did you get these fish yet? What sized qt do you have and is it cycled? You should keep them all in qt for at least 3-4 weeks. Adding them all to the display at once would not only infect your entire display should any of them be carrying a parasite, which is highly likely, but it will but severe strain on your biological filtration as well. If you cannot stop the order and your QT is too small for all of them then at least keep the emperor, gramma, and wrassie in the qt. You may get lucky, the chromis are the most likely to be free of parasites. I wouldn't bank on it though.

meathead

Hi guys,
Thanks
I ran into the same problem. Everything going good, then BAM! 6 fish dead within a week. Some due to ick, but all definitely stress related.
My cheap heater was on the blink and let the temp swing between 65 and 83 degrees all day long.
Replaced it and things have been great since. The temp stays with 2 degrees all day.
Just my experience. May not be your situation but just another thing to check.

wattsupdoc

In mo experience with chromises, they will be the very likely culprits to have ick. I have had 2 batches of 5 each and am left with only 2 from the 10. QT them all.... also adding a large amount of fish at once doesnt STRAIN the bio-filter, it just overloads it. It's not big enough to keep up. The bio-filter in a tank will only be as large as is cappable of being sustained. More feeding, more deficating results in waste that cannot be processed fast enough. So you get cycles. But it doesnt strin it in that it puts stress on it or harms it.
Since you have them all coming and cant stop it you need to prepare the DT for them.
I wouldn't recomend doing this again as it's just asking for trouble, from now on only 1 or 2 fish at a time.....

Upon adding them to the QT, start very gradually increasing the amount you feed the DT. The idea is that over the course of the 4 weeks they are in QT you ramp up the bio filter in the DT. you will effectivly avoid having a mini cycle this way. But you have to do it very gradually and take the whole 4 weeks to do it. Ending with the amount you intend to be feeding them ALL when in the DT. Then before adding them to the DT do not feed for 2 days prior. This will allow the fish to not be adding digested food to the DT when they enter it. Do not inrease the amount you feed for a few weeks after, this will allow it to stabalize.

lesleybird

You know that is kind of a high bioload for a 75 gallon. If anything I would put the chromis in the QT that may not be completely cycled or have a mature biological filter, and put all the others in the display. You may be better leaving out the chromis in the 75 completely because of the bioload. I hope that you plan to upgrade to at least a 180 gallon in a couple of years as the emperor can grow to 18 inches. Lesley