Generational Differences

lexluethar

Can anyone tell me where to find population numbers for the different generations in the united states? I know, weird question, i'm doing a research paper and i can't find a darn thing on the actual population size of each. I though it would be as easy as going to the census website, but they don't seem to breakout any data by generation.
I'm looking for numbers relating to the Veteran, Boomer, Xer, and Nexter generations.
I know there are some smart cookies on this website so i was hoping someone could at least point me in the right direction. I've found some on the Boomers, but that was it. I could break out the census's age groups, but that is really innacurate when breaking down groups of 10 ages when we are talking about millions of people.
Thanks for any input or advice would be appreciated.

lexluethar

awesome thanks guys. Honestly looking for something concrete thats says there are X number of people within the Veteran generation, X within the Boomer, and so on. Then it would be nice to have some other numbers with that, like amount within the labor force, amount retired, average income, etc. I'll take a look at those links.
Thanks! I honestly didn't expect anyone to look:)

wfd1008

i wish i remembered what i googled, but there was a couple of sites that mentioned the baby boomers and the nexters in the work force. it was something like population of generation ____. i'll look again. google population of generations in the work force and population of the nexter generation

lexluethar

Ya i've seen some of those. And a lot of those sites are great, but to be honest they are very vague. I have the written information I need for textbooks and news articles, things like xers and boomers working together, xers and nexters not getting along in the workplace, etc. But i'm having difficulty actually finding raw numbers on these generations. I found a link at census.gov in which it gave me the age breakout for the 2000 census (like 1 years of age there were X number of people, 2 years of age...) you get the idea. Then i just did the math. But anything other than that i haven't found, like something saying there are so many of this generation still working, so many of this one retired. Actual numbers and not just the research/academic side (because i already have a plethera of info).
Even the bls.gov doesn't seem to breakout anything by generation.

zman1

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2564637
awesome thanks guys. Honestly looking for something concrete thats says there are X number of people within the Veteran generation, X within the Boomer, and so on. Then it would be nice to have some other numbers with that, like amount within the labor force, amount retired, average income, etc. I'll take a look at those links.
Thanks! I honestly didn't expect anyone to look:)
1. Are you looking for how many in one data set ie. 2008 left of the groups?
2. Are you looking for each period population number for that period of time, regarless of deaths over time?
I am not quite sure which one you are looking to research.
Also, try the Department of Labor for labor numbers - DOL.gov

lexluethar

1. I would prefer 2000 data sets(because that was the census that i based my original figures on), but anything would really work right now. So this would include anyone living within the united states that fit those ages.
2. Yes, regardless of deaths. I think it would become to complicated (as if it isn't already, stuipd ass paper) to start including possible mortality rates, I would just like a crosstab or data set saying generation by population/still in the workforce/retired/average income/anything useful from a labor statistics standpoint.

stdreb27

the CIA fact book has some general info, but the zmans link to the census site is probably the best. IF I remember right you can make custom tables and stuff.