Get Ready for $3.50 gas by Christmas and $4+ a gallon next year!

ice4ice

Already paying $3.30/gal here. Gonna hit $3.50 before you know it. Shows you George Bush isn't doing anything about it. He's too busy protecting his good 'ol boys oil tycoons in Texas making a profit off of us all.

The government, oil companies & car manufactures are all in bed together. And we are the ones getting Fu****.
And anyone who belives that the oil companies arent taking us to the cleaners is confused. They dont even know what its like to to run a biz in the RED.

krj-1168

Gonna hit $3.50 before you know it. Shows you George Bush isn't doing anything about it. He's too busy protecting his good 'ol boys oil tycoons in Texas making a profit off of us all.
Amen So true

Remember back in his 2000 campaign - how he said he would use the national oil reserves to lower gas prices (and gas was about $1.50-1.70 per gallon at that time). Yet during his 7 years in office - the gas prices have jumped about 233% - the largest increase in of any 7 year period since the 1970's.

darknes

Originally Posted by krj-1168
I highly doubt it will be gasoline. If gasoline is still around - it will likely only be used for classic cars.
Electric is still very possible - but I believe that they will only exist in cities or as Hybrid powered cars.
Actually Hydrogen is the ultimate "green" fuel. Hydrogen in the tank & engine = H2O out the tailpipe. No CO2 or other greenhouse gases.
Burning hydrogen might be a clean fuel, but producing it definitely isn't. The most efficient means of producing it are coal gasification or steam reforming of natural gas; In essence, you need fossil fuels to produce it.
You can also produce hydrogen by breaking the bonds from water, but it consumes much more energy to do this than the hydrogen gives off. And where would this energy to produce hydrogen come from? Fossil fuels.
With current production methods, hydrogen would cost 4 times more than gasoline for the same amount of combustion energy.

mike22cha

I think it'd be cool for the idea of a solar powered car to become more avaible. But we need to take any kind of steps, even if that means baby steps, to decrease our demand of oil. The more kinds of energy we use=the more jobs avaible, and lower demand for any one type of energy. Great for the people worrying about the enviroment, and the people worrying about their checkbooks.

krj-1168

The problem is there's really no quick or single solution to completely get us off Foreign Oil.
There's things that can certainly help - but it will actually take several strategies to do it in the next 10-15 years.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by krj-1168
The problem is there's really no quick or single solution to completely get us off Foreign Oil.
There's things that can certainly help - but it will actually take several strategies to do it in the next 10-15 years.
Ya and several strategies is also good because that means more and different job oppurtunities too.

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by 987654321
The government, oil companies & car manufactures are all in bed together. And we are the ones getting Fu****.
And anyone who belives that the oil companies arent taking us to the cleaners is confused. They dont even know what its like to to run a biz in the RED.
actually, if im correct, the oil companies were in the crapper back in the 80's and nobody bailed them out.
oil company is a business. they are allowed to make what they make.

triga22

Mabye we should be focusing on other ways to take gas out of the picture. No not running on corn. Something that can be made for cheap and dosent hurt the ozone.

hattrick58

Originally Posted by Darknes
I don't understand. Oil companies had no obligation to offer free gas; it's a business, and businesses work on the bottom dollar. Aren't you upset that restaurants weren't out there handing out free food? Maybe cell phone companies should have been giving out free phones so they could call their relatives.
It's not a matter of obligation.
It's a matter of ethics.

hattrick58

Originally Posted by reefraff
Before you go off on Exxon about profits look at their level of investment to make those profits. When it costs billions to produce a product it should come as no shock that profits are large. There are MANY companies with a way higher rate of return on their investment than Exxon or the other oil companies have.
Who's "going off" on Exxon about their profits? And since you mentioned it, how much did Exxon invest in FY '07 to produce "their product"?

salty blues

Originally Posted by reefraff
Before you go off on Exxon about profits look at their level of investment to make those profits. When it costs billions to produce a product it should come as no shock that profits are large. There are MANY companies with a way higher rate of return on their investment than Exxon or the other oil companies have.

I agree, and I say so as the pa-in-law of a man who works in the off shore oil field to feed my grand kids whom I love very much. It is a danged unglamorous dangerous job.

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by hattrick58
It's not a matter of obligation.
It's a matter of ethics.
if i owned a business, i dont want anybody nor the govt telling me how much i am allowed to charge or how much i am allowed to make in a year.
why should they be any different? as soon as that happens, we have entered the society of communism.
tired of high oil prices? come up with an alternative.

rylan1

Originally Posted by hattrick58
Who's "going off" on Exxon about their profits? And since you mentioned it, how much did Exxon invest in FY '07 to produce "their product"?
Aren't profits after Net? Meaning that the $33 Billion or whatever the # was is the money kept after they paid all their expenses.

rylan1

A new development in this oil crisis.
Read today that OPEC countries have their montary reserves invested in the US dollar are talking about exchanging/transferring their "hard currency" to another currency such as the euro.
What this means is that international businesses and foreign governments are loosing faith in the US dollar and our economy, because our money is loosing value. This could be very disasterous for our economy. I have to imagine these reserves our worth billions of dollars, and the result will further devalue our money.
Something needs to be done, and I doubt Bush can do anything. We need to develop alternative fuels and vehicles in mass, because if things continue to run this course...we no longer will be the world's richest country, most powerful country.

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by Rylan1
we no longer will be the world's richest country, most powerful country.
we no longer are.
china has us by the short/curlys. our economy is in their hands.

rylan1

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
we no longer are.
china has us by the short/curlys. our economy is in their hands.
Is that why we haven't banned their imports? They have been sending us products that literally will kill the end user, and it seems that we are doing nothing about it.

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by Rylan1
Is that why we haven't banned their imports? They have been sending us products that literally will kill the end user, and it seems that we are doing nothing about it.
matter of economics.
it costs a company 3.25 example to make a shirt to retail at 14.99
thats labor, raw materials, transportation (both inland china, aws- all water service, customs, transportation inland-us, and profit)
labor is extremely inexpensive there. so cheap as a matter of fact, i used to export electronic parts made in england to china to be assembled and then shipped to the us.
regardless of what they say, your average worker in china might make $2/day, if they are lucky. your average worker here makes i dunno, $7.50/hour.
that 14.99 shirt would most likely be $28-$30.
besides. the tree hugging environmentalists would probably be protesting the emissions from the factory, where as in china, anything goes (almost).
on top of that, the demand for these goods is constant, if not on a continuous rise. to have to go out and rebuild all these factories would take too long, cause a sharp rise in goods due to supply/demand, and add even more $ on top of that because the greedy investors would demand an almost immediate ROI.
you figure it out.