Getting an anemone off its rock

tjohnson139

Hey.
I'm hoping someone can help me.
My anemone split last night and I want to give one to a friend of mine.
They're both attached to a rock, though.
I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about how to get it off the rock.
Thanks for any help.

tjohnson139

I tried the ice cube trick and it worked. It took about an hour and made my clown really mad. It kept biting my arm the entire time, but it released.
Thanks for your help.

tjohnson139

Just a side note, the clown I had hosting the anemone picked one of the split ones and hosted it so I gave the other one to my friend.
My clown stopped hosting all together when I took the second half out. It's just swimming around with the other clown now. It goes up to the anemone every once in a while, but doesn't host.
So....I'm not sure if that's normal, but whatever I did seemed to disrupt something.

tjohnson139

Guess I should modify that. He's not hosting the one I saved now. He's just swimming around not hosting at all. Not sure if that's normal.

chinpokomon

I wouldn't worry, they should return to normal in a few days to a week. I've found that most fish act strange for a few days if they notice a changer in their environment. I’ve used this in the past to introduce new members to a tank. I’ll rearrange the rockwork a little bit. I think it fools the fish into thinking they’re in a different part of the reef where they have to reestablish their territory allowing the newcomer a chance to find a home. The fact that your Clowns still visit the host is a good sign. I'm sure once they realize this "new" Anemone is unoccupied they should move back in.