Getting into the world of sps corals...

S

siptang

yup that's what I meant lol. I know that .01 makes a huge difference lol.
I had already made 15 gal of 1.025 :/
My water is at 1.023 using refractometer.
PH is now at 8 as well as ALK.
I'm going to rebuff tomorrow night if it still remains same. What do you guys think?

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBEW41 http:///t/390908/getting-into-the-world-of-sps-corals#post_3464678
keep a log of your water tests to see how stable your alk,cal,and nitrates are
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/390908/getting-into-the-world-of-sps-corals#post_3464984
A convenient and safe way to raise salinity is to use saltwater for topoff until it's at the desired level.
+2
Some Ideas on great sps that I have had GREAT luck with and currently house are:
Sprung's Stunner - (Echinopora.lamellosa) ORA frag from here. I got mine 11 months ago and it was a 2" frag. Today it's 10" by 12" (I fragged a chunk of it off 4 months ago the size of a dollar billl for a friend) This stuff grows FAST, and looks awesome: - {and the green eyes in it glow under actinics/moons}

It's also very tolerant of swings in trates- i.e. less than perfect water, all the time. Notice the back left corner is actually growing vertically over some liverock and once it tops it - it'll grow horizontal again. This would easily be well over a 14" dia piece had I not fraged 1/4 of it off last fall.
Another tolerant but much slower growing plate is the ORA blue chalice echinopora. Again this was a 2" frag 10 months ago. and today it's 5+ inches across. It's very
blue/purple and does not lose color when water parameters aren't perfect:

And the only birdsnest I've ever had great luck with is the orange guttatas (Seriatopora guttatus). It seems pretty hardy and grows fast too. Mine was a medium frag under a year ago, and it grew to 10" diameter, when I dropped my vacuum one day 3 months ago and split it in half - so gave it away to a local sps reefer... I've only a frag of it now - but it's growin!

S

siptang

After buffering the tank, my ph is at 8.1.
Alk is at 11
Nitrate 0
Po4 0
Calcium went up as well to 460.
I think things are looking up a bit. What do you guys think?

S

siptang

What would you recommend snake? I'm thinking of 15g water chamge today. (Got lazy last night) but that would affect alk as well no?
I'm scared to touch the tank now lol.

S

siptang

Welps, here are my sps with my tank.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/388524/recovery/220#post_3465882
I'm wondering if I should start with some acros.. a friend that I made was selling strawberry short cake acro frag for $10 so I'm thinking about getting one.
What do you guys think?
I didn't notice but looks like my caps are growing. What do you guys think?

mr. limpid

Nice Richard! You have gone from a over stocked FOWLR to very nice looking reef, and you have a reward saying so. It looks like you are running out of real estate time to build up.

S

siptang

Yes sir, I am I'm running out of room but I still want to put couple of piece of acros in there to just to try and to watch them grow in time. I have some in the frag tray and probably this wed, I will glue them in some place. I want some pink, purple and blue just to have more color in my tank.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/390908/getting-into-the-world-of-sps-corals/20#post_3465905
Yes sir, I am I'm running out of room but I still want to put couple of piece of acros in there to just to try and to watch them grow in time. I have some in the frag tray and probably this wed, I will glue them in some place. I want some pink, purple and blue just to have more color in my tank.
You know that all corals don't get along, you'll need to find which type do or don't and give them extra room about 6". Some corals have stinging tentacles that sweep out, you don't want them going into a chemical war in your tank.

S

siptang

Yea, I noticed. So spaced accordingly with frogspawn, hammer, torch and bubble. I will have to move some leathers around near future away from my caps. :/
Thanks for the input Jack, I always appreciate yours. :)