Getting Started, Live Rock?

pb_master

Hello All,
I think I am about ready, I got all my supplies now from online. Just need to set up my tank now. I have a 30H and I was wondering how much live rock should I be putting in. Also, how should I start to cycle my tank? Should I be putting in damsels, or I think someone mentioned putting in shrimp that you buy from the grocery store.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ryan

birdy

For a 30H you will want around 30-40lbs of LR, if you order your rock online (much cheaper) then there will be some die off and this will start your cycle, otherwise you can use a cocktail shrimp, do not use damsels there is no reason to and they are a pain in the butt to get out of your tank later on.

nacl-man

IMO you should get 30-40lbs of LR from either online or your LFS (online is MUCH better cost wise) the LR from SWF.com is stellar. Use that to cycle your tank :)
Put your substrate in, fill up your 30 w/ RO water, mix the salt in the tank (no fish means you can do this), order your live rock (or whatever you decide to do), get it home and plunk it in. Wait 3 weeks or so (however long the cycle takes) do a 30% (or more) water change and you will be good to go!
The LR will act as the kickstart for your cycle

Setting up a new tank rocks, I love doing it!!! Good luck!

pb_master

Thanks,
Just looking at SWF.com and noticed theres two types, relatilvly the same price. Does anyone know the difference between the Florida and Fiji live rock? What would you recomend?

karajay

Florida LR has a much greater potential for nasty unwanted hitch-hikers. I would go with Figi.
:)

flydan

Hey,
I would recommend a mix of different lr if you can work that out. I think variety helps your system in the long run. Just my opinion.
Dan'l

pb_master

Anyone one know anything about SWF.com live rock being sold out, i.e. like how long it takes to get in. If I'm going to be waiting long I will just buy some from my LFS.

razoreqx

Originally posted by pb_master
Anyone one know anything about SWF.com live rock being sold out, i.e. like how long it takes to get in. If I'm going to be waiting long I will just buy some from my LFS.

SWF.com is moving to a new LARGER location.. They have not yet posted a date they will be shipping orders... You might not want to wait that long to order your live rock..

flydan

Hey,
To save some serious $$ put a foundation of base rock down first. Say 25lbs of Tufa rock or Lace rock. It's very cheap. Build the base rock up the way you want it to look and take your time since it will probably be that way for a long time, unless you enjoy tearing your reef down.:D Then add 20lbs or so of nice lr on top of that. Any exposed area's on the base rock will become lr over time and you wont be burying nice lr where the sun don't shine.:rolleyes:
HTH,
Dan'l

beachbumtx

Originally posted by FlyDan
Hey,
To save some serious $$ put a foundation of base rock down first. Say 25lbs of Tufa rock or Lace rock. It's very cheap. Build the base rock up the way you want it to look and take your time since it will probably be that way for a long time, unless you enjoy tearing your reef down.:D Then add 20lbs or so of nice lr on top of that. Any exposed area's on the base rock will become lr over time and you wont be burying nice lr where the sun don't shine.:rolleyes:
HTH,
Dan'l

HIya!,
I totally agree FlyDan. Get you some base rock for the first layer. Cover with LR. That's how I started my tank and you will save some money. As FlyDan said, any exposed base rock will turn to live rock in time and you will not know the difference.

pb_master

Thanks for the addvice guys.
I like the sound of the base rock, thats the direction i'm gonna go. This might be a dumb question, but I haven't looked into this yet...Is base rock some thing you can get at your LFS?

gregvabch

yeah, it will look like live rock only it won't have anything live on it, and it's definitely not at expensive.