Ghost Shrimp

jon321

Anyone every kept ghost shrimp in a marine tank as a cleaup crew member? They are suppose to be salt tolerant and always have done a nice job in my fresh tanks.
Jon

lion_crazz

I have had some acclimate to my tanks, but they always get eaten by my lionfish within a week so I really could not tell you. The only problem with them is that they eat a lot of copepods and other pods.

lion_crazz

In saltwater they usually are, but in freshwater, they are excellent algae eaters. There are so many things in saltwater that will eat them though. Even my maroon clown and engineer goby goes after them when my lion misses one.

jon321

Well its for a 20g FO tank...just a few small <1" fish, so shouldnt be any worries. Mabe Ill give it a try.
Jon

O

oreo12

You can try it but if I where a beting man I would would bet on it being someones snack.

lion_crazz

Yeah, if there is anything with substanial size in the 20, I would say it was a snack. Like I said, my engineer goby loves em and he is not even that large yet. With 1" fish, you may be fine though.

alyssia

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
I've never had ghost shrimp live longer than a couple of months in any of my freshwater tanks.
I have ghost shrimp live a LONG time in my FW tanks, but only the really big ones. The rest always end up as someone's snack.