going from pcs to m/h how far from water

naclh2o nut

My M/H will be here Friday
, DW wants to put a shelf over tank to hang lights. So how high should they be mounted first. Then how long and how low should the go? I am guessing I can lower them every week a couple of inches, just not sure of the starting and stopping height.
90 gal bow, 28 inches deep, now with 130watt 10k, 130 watt act.
New lights are 300watt 10k, 128 watt act.
Just a few corals, colt, leather, sun polys, shrooms. They are all now @ or on the top of the rock, I know they can be moved and will be to make room for light lovers.

sitting on the edge of my chair for an answer, tools in hand.
Thanks, ahead of time I know I will be busy for a little while working on set up.

devil dog

Originally Posted by NaClH2O Nut
http:///forum/post/2958941
My M/H will be here Friday
, DW wants to put a shelf over tank to hang lights. So how high should they be mounted first. Then how long and how low should the go? I am guessing I can lower them every week a couple of inches, just not sure of the starting and stopping height.
90 gal bow, 28 inches deep, now with 130watt 10k, 130 watt act.
New lights are 300watt 10k, 128 watt act.
Just a few corals, colt, leather, sun polys, shrooms. They are all now @ or on the top of the rock, I know they can be moved and will be to make room for light lovers.

sitting on the edge of my chair for an answer, tools in hand.
Thanks, ahead of time I know I will be busy for a little while working on set up.
Well... I would have them about 10" off the water... but i would have went with two 250w MH with how deep your tank is... but maybe it will be ok... If you want to move the light down then i would start at about 20" and go down about 1" a day and end at 10"... and i would not have them on for more then 4 hours and add an hour every other day up to 8 hours... hope that helps... Good Luck

naclh2o nut

Thanks Dog, I was looking at the 250 but since this is the third set of lights this month. Started with a triple tube flour for a fish only , then DW said that she thought we should add some coral.
so I bought a nice coralife PC set up. Only to find out that she thought we should have the glimmer lines from M/H.
So they are on their way.
Back to the height, would it be ok to hang the lights at the 10" mark and lower the corals in the tank? That way I could mount the shelf and be done with it.

Also they are pendents and was wondering if they should be centered front to back or pulled a little forward?

devil dog

Yeah you could just put everything where you want it... Just get some screen... and have like four layers and take one off every three day until it is gone...
good luck

naclh2o nut

Window screen? Filter it out, got it. Will the M/H get to hot to put screen on them or should I cover tank with it?
Thanks

veni vidi vici

My personal experience with going from PC to MH was everything flourished in my tank ,including algae.I didnt acclimate my tank to the new lights ,but i kept an eye on everything just in case.

naclh2o nut

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2960550
My personal experience with going from PC to MH was everything flourished in my tank ,including algae.I didnt acclimate my tank to the new lights ,but i kept an eye on everything just in case.
including algae --

That is what I was thinking if I have all my corals on top. Then I should be able to put everything on the bottom and move them up as the acclimate. The lowest thing in tank now is about 15" from bottom.
With 2 x150 watt M/H is the top 10" the spot for corals that need lots of light?