Good hitchhiker or bad hitchhiker?

fish sense

I just got a gorgonian, and I seemed to notice a small starfish like creature, maybe 1 inch across, very thin with a small central body with 2 legs each branching twice. Does anyone know what this is and if it is reef save. It is crawling on my flower pot and I am concerned. There is also another one wrapped around the gorgonian. Thanks!

d12monkey

Originally Posted by Fish Sense
I just got a gorgonian, and I seemed to notice a small starfish like creature, maybe 1 inch across, very thin with a small central body with 2 legs each branching twice. Does anyone know what this is and if it is reef save. It is crawling on my flower pot and I am concerned. There is also another one wrapped around the gorgonian. Thanks!
Have a picture? But it could very well be a brittle Starfish. Check out this tread and you might find out what it is. https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=163871

ophiura

I suspect you have something basically similar to a basket star, which are common hitch hikers on gorgonians...but won't get as large. I wouldn't worry much about it :) But I would love a picture if you could get one!

wildclown

:help: i just got all my live rock from someone who santed to sell hers lokaly when i brought it home and got my 75 gal tank running i notised a lot of hitchikers incudeing these can you all elp id them.
the first looks kida like an anemonie but is smaller about two inches in diamiter the tenticles are almost cleat the second is a farther away shot of the same .the third is of some kind of pink something but it looks pretty. sorry for the bad pics i had to take them with a pic phone
lol
Please read until the end.