Grad gift ideas

aquaknight

Little bro is graduating college, open to some suggestions for gift ideas, sharing anything interesting you gave before....

imurnamine

Ugh. I wish I was graduating college! Soon...
What kind of things does he like?
Will he have his own office in his new job?

ironeagle2006

Maybe as a Gag gift get him a Gernade with the Complaint sign on it that says Take a Number so he can have a Laugh. However for his real gift get him either a real nice pen set or nice Monogrammed Briefcase.

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/387171/grad-gift-ideas#post_3404772
Alcohol. He will need it going into hospitality management
He is probably the biggest beer snob I know. I would genuinely fret getting him any beer. I think maybe going half's or third on the 1.75L Blue Label would be pretty sweet. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImUrNamine http:///forum/thread/387171/grad-gift-ideas#post_3404806
Ugh. I wish I was graduating college! Soon...
What kind of things does he like?
Will he have his own office in his new job?
I guess this was sorta my real question I never asked. Do I get him something more specific for a college grad, someone entering the workforce, or just a "regular gift" you'd get someone for their B-day/X-mas? I imagine he'll get a lot of stuff from family/friends, so do I take the "cool brother' route and get him a nice bottle(s) of alcohol or something?
He's into a lot of the same stuff as myself, cycling (MTB and road), radio controlled plans and cars, home theater, his car, typical guy stuff. He's into sports, but doesn't really have have any teams. Thought about getting some tickets as a gift.
I imagine he'll have his own office or at least cubicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
http:///forum/thread/387171/grad-gift-ideas#post_3404900
Maybe as a Gag gift get him a Gernade with the Complaint sign on it that says Take a Number so he can have a Laugh. However for his real gift get him either a real nice pen set or nice Monogrammed Briefcase.
Grenade is a good one. I thought about maybe a custom desk name plate. "Capt. No Show" or Jack Hoff.

stdreb27

at 150 bucks? 150 bucks is nice...
Outa college, I would have loved 3 things, Guns, a new vehicle, a lifetime hunting/fishing license, or golf lessons or stuff for the tank...Strangely 5 years out of college, I'd still love all those things...

imurnamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKnight http:///forum/thread/387171/grad-gift-ideas#post_3405130
He is probably the biggest beer snob I know. I would genuinely fret getting him any beer. I think maybe going half's or third on the 1.75L Blue Label would be pretty sweet. .
I guess this was sorta my real question I never asked. Do I get him something more specific for a college grad, someone entering the workforce, or just a "regular gift" you'd get someone for their B-day/X-mas? I imagine he'll get a lot of stuff from family/friends, so do I take the "cool brother' route and get him a nice bottle(s) of alcohol or something?
He's into a lot of the same stuff as myself, cycling (MTB and road), radio controlled plans and cars, home theater, his car, typical guy stuff. He's into sports, but doesn't really have have any teams. Thought about getting some tickets as a gift.
Grenade is a good one. I thought about maybe a custom desk name plate. "Capt. No Show" or Jack Hoff.
Hmm... What I normally do for college grads is get them something they'll not only use in their new venture, but also enjoy... For instance, if he's going to have his own space, I'd be a total girl & frame him something. My boyfriend constantly gets custom framed pictures of his favorite space ships that he's worked on since he's been at NASA, or crap like that... But I don't think that's what you're looking for...
Maybe you could take him out somewhere nice & do some brother bonding time? Or just buy him lots of booze, whatever works! ^.^

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImUrNamine http:///forum/thread/387171/grad-gift-ideas#post_3405202
Hmm... What I normally do for college grads is get them something they'll not only use in their new venture, but also enjoy... For instance, if he's going to have his own space, I'd be a total girl & frame him something. My boyfriend constantly gets custom framed pictures of his favorite space ships that he's worked on since he's been at NASA, or crap like that... But I don't think that's what you're looking for...
Maybe you could take him out somewhere nice & do some brother bonding time? Or just buy him lots of booze, whatever works! ^.^
I might be a little jaded, but I HATED it when my then girl friend (now wife) would frame something for me. (she worked a frame shop) so it was cheap and easy. However now I have some great framed Art...

imurnamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///forum/thread/387171/grad-gift-ideas#post_3405215
I might be a little jaded, but I HATED it when my then girl friend (now wife) would frame something for me. (she worked a frame shop) so it was cheap and easy. However now I have some great framed Art...
Well, it's not like I randomly find something & put it in a frame... One picture is of ATLANTIS & was taken the same night he got to go in it & sit in the cockpit thing... it was a very big night for him. The other is his NASA mission patch that he completely treasures but had it safely tucked away in his nightstand drawer & the last thing is a photo of his childhood pet lab who is now very old & probably about to die from the looks of things... He was actually pretty stoked about all three of them. But of course there's still Star Wars paraphernalia & other things that I give him! : )
& I agree with meowzer... maybe money would be a better bet... because EVERYONE loves money & he could do what he wanted with it!

al mc

If it is not something you often do together I would take him to a sporting event, buy a couple beers and share in the moment.

S

siptang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKnight http:///forum/thread/387171/grad-gift-ideas#post_3405130
Back when I was able to drink, this was the drink of my choice.
I guess this was sorta my real question I never asked. Do I get him something more specific for a college grad, someone entering the workforce, or just a "regular gift" you'd get someone for their B-day/X-mas? I imagine he'll get a lot of stuff from family/friends, so do I take the "cool brother' route and get him a nice bottle(s) of alcohol or something? Well, if he's a drinker, that won't hurt but if your mom is type of mom that's against it, then may be getting him something thoughtful might be a better idea. What does he like? How about a small android pad? I'm pretty sure you can find nook color for around that much on craigslist. He can use that for his schedule along with other things.

He's into a lot of the same stuff as myself, cycling (MTB and road), radio controlled plans and cars, home theater, his car, typical guy stuff. He's into sports, but doesn't really have have any teams. Thought about getting some tickets as a gift. RC cars maybe a copter and tickets are a great idea too.

gemmy

My vote is still alcohol and the Blue Label would be a fine choice. I was in hospitality management for a bit and I know I would appreciate good alcohol

gemmy

Does he have a job lined up? I think I might have a different idea. You could get him a leather portfolio with his name engraved on it. It will look super professional for interviews and can be used to keep him more organized.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/387171/grad-gift-ideas#post_3405365
Does he have a job lined up? I think I might have a different idea. You could get him a leather portfolio with his name engraved on it. It will look super professional for interviews and can be used to keep him more organized.
bla I have about 4 of those. They're great at collecting dust.