Great News

I got a horse shoe crab about 3 weeks ago,and this morning when i woke up i noticed he had molted the reason im so excited is because others on this websit have told me it would starve. but it lived

1journeyman

Originally Posted by fish are good
I got a horse shoe crab about 3 weeks ago,and this morning when i woke up i noticed he had molted the reason im so excited is because others on this websit have told me it would starve. but it lived

Horseshoe crabs live for years in the wild. They also feed on the micro critters in your sand and often completely deplete their food source. They also get huge. Some folks report success with captive feeding, but that is the very tiny minority of cases.
They are beautiful and awesome creatures, but they are woefully unsuited for most of our tanks. Most found in the hobby are actually a colder water species.
Remember, success in this hobby is measured in years, not weeks. Provided the correct habitat the different species can be kept in captivity, but few of us can provide the proper habitat.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by fish are good

dont want to rain on your parade, but unless you have a massive system the thing probably will starve. 3 weeks really isnt long enough to confirm success in this hobby.
edit// 1journeyman you beat me to it! lol

bizkitpug

I had mine for about 5 months before he died. I didn't do the research I should have and he paid the price. Totally awesome to have in the tank though.