Green Goniopora Babies

Luvthekeys

Two weeks ago I bought a Green Goniopora photo below. In two weeks it has spit out two babies already. Photo of one below. Two questions. Does the goniopora look like it is bleaching out? I have it fairly high up in the tank and it looks healthy. However when it is extended as in the photo it looks more yellowish. When not extended it has a more green color. Second question is it unusual for it to be releasing baby Goniopora so early after being introduced to the tank? Kind of cool. I am letting the one baby find a home to attach to by itself.

mandy111

I thought gonipora were encrusting and didn't think they reproduced in this way. Are you 100% sure it's not a different coral popping up ? I've got 13 gonis in my tank and fragged many of them with skeletons attached. Some are 5 yrs old and never ever seen this way of reproduction ?

Luvthekeys

I am new to the hobby but what I have read they do pop them off. It is definity the same coral except much, much smaller maybe the size of a BB when I first see them. The baby in the photo has grown another polyp since I took the photo. So far it has happened twice and there is nothing even closely resembling the larger Goniopora in my tank. I was going to post links to some threads on this but it would be easier if you just googled Goniopora babies. It will bring up plenty of info about babies budding off the mother.