Green star polyp splitting it.

kojack

I have recently gotten a green star polyp which I absolutly love. It flows with the current of the water i have heard that this poly spreads very easily. I have had it in the tank for about 2 months now and it hasn't spread at all. Can i cut some of it off and place it somewhere else in the tank to see if it will reproduce any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited.
Thanks,
Kojack

jjlittle

MIne took about 6 months to start spreading which it will do in time and then you may need to cut it back to avoid take over.

jam marine

Agreed with the above,i thought mine was dying it took really long to start growing,but when it starts to grow it moves really quickly,providing you have good water parameters :D

stachy

Get a good pair of stainless steel scissors, and cut it. Place the frag where U want it and give it a couple of days to come back out. I have fraged mine 3 times in 3 months.

In time it should spread on its own. If you want it in a different area of the tank that it can not (or would not) naturally spread or if you just want a separate frag I would suggest taking a clean new razor blade and cutting a small strip out of the middle of the coral. After cutting the strip (perhaps 1/4"x1") use the edge of the razor to lift the polyp mat. Then finish removing with your fingers or better a pair of tweezers with a blunt tip. Dry the underside of the mat and add super glue gel. Place on whatever you are using (rubble rock?) and rinse in a separate container of tank water before replacing in your tank. Then main colony should re-open in 2-5 days (perhaps a little sooner) and the frag can open in as little as a few hours or as long as a week. As long as the mat doesn't start to deteriorate it should be OK
The reasons I like to remove a section out of the middle vs an edge
--Once the colony reopens you do not notice the missing section
--The edges that were growing will continue to spread
--Because the middle section will be regrowing from 4 sides instead of just one (like on the edge) it will fill in much quicker
--chances are where the middle closes it will overgrow itself. This creates a lump that can be easily removed for future frags.
JME
SiF

ninjamini

Should the matt be attached to rock everywhere. I have a peice about 4" x 7" and only about half is attached to rock. The rest just kinda floats free. Should I attach the rest to a rock or cut it in half.