Groupers

t316

I think they taste good....blackened

Oh...you are referring to the smaller, tank size, species

B

bigtankbigfish

im not an expert but I kept a 12 inch blue spotted grouper in a 220 for about 6 months. He was an absolute menace to everything in the tank and the rock work...Not too mention he costed a fortune to feed.
Anything that fits in the mouth is a goner and they open wide. He ate a picasso trigger once.

t316

That's what I hear as well. They are pretty much a species only type fish, as they will eat or disrupt everything else in their surroundings.

aquaknight

I've had 3 over the years, a Blue spotted and a Louti, when I was young, only have had a Panther in the 'modern age' of keeping. Anything specific you need to know? So hardy species of fish, kinda like asking for Honda Civic input.

B

bigtankbigfish

mine was hardy, The water quality was never spectacular at the time because they are such messy eaters and doing changes on a 220 is a pain..
I tried to put a miniatus grouper in with the blue spot but the blue spot was super agressive immediately and I had to return the mini.
The best tank mates I had no problems with was a 24 inch zebra moray and a decent sized volitan. But the volitan really had some trouble at feeding time because the grouper is relentless. I could give him an entire soft crab and 6 jumbo shrimp in one meal.. I worked for a seafood place at the time, thats the only way i could afford to feed him, he ate better than me.
And they like to splash water on the floor. Interesting thing about the blue spot was he could change color. WHen he was content he was a beautiful powder blue color, when he was mad he was jet black with white dots and blended with rock perfectly. Great personalities though like triggers

B

bigtankbigfish

If you have the tank size, realize he is not compatible with much, realize he will destroy rock work, realize he eats like a monster and poops likes crazy, and you can handle it I say go for it.
But the black with white spots isnt really a good sign. If it is the same type of grouper I had it went by a few names. Powder Blue grouper, blue spotted grouper were two i can remember. Watch him for a while and see if he changes at all. The blue color should be a bright blue and shiny
this is what mine looked like except more blue. The georgia aquarium has it and calls it a giant grouper.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/154/3...g?v=1214563398
the light blotches turn super white an the blue background color turns jet black when threatened

unleashed

I'm not an expert on any fish but I have had experience with a panther grouper I had mine for 6 yrs...he was aprox 13 inches when I lost him.. along with my other fish due to faulty hydrometer... my panther was quite docile.. however I fed daily and he was kept with large fish and eels. as with any predator you should always research before purchasing them to make sure they are compatible with other tank mates..I think the panther groupers are beautiful fish even more so as they mature in to the black and brown.. they are very hardy fish at least mine seamed to be.. and no the water wasn't green however the side and back glass is.

taritippie

i just put a cherry grouper in my tank yesterday and he has already eaten 4 of my fish. I want to take him back. They did tell me he would eat the smaller fish when he got bigger, but he ate them within the first 2 hours of being in my tank. I don't want him anymore

R

rcreations

Don't trust what the fish store tells you. The more of your fish die, the more money they make because you have to buy new ones. It's best to do your own research BEFORE you go to the fish store.

kuja

I had a red sea grouper. He is one of the smaller sizes of groupers so it makes for a good pet. He was absolutely beautiful and extremely hardy. I had absolutely no problems feeding him live or frozen. He even ate a live blue crab whole. I was actually afraid the crab might kill him considering he swallows everything whole. One time he swam around for hours trying to swallow a whole tiger shrimp until I finally wrestled it out of his mouth. Trust me a groupers eyes are bigger than their stomach, if they think they can eat it they will try. However, I had to give him away, because as he grow bigger he learned that he could steal food right out of my eels mouth (zebra eels are very timid). It got to the point where the eel actual began to completely refuse all food. Out of fear that the eel would starve I gave him to someone who has a 300 gallon with an african trigger and russell lionfish. If you do get a grouper it must be placed with other aggressive fish.

travelerjp98

I have a 6-7" panther grouper in my 190 and he is doing great...
I keep him along with 2 tangs, a toadfish, and some others...
he accepts anything from brine shrimp to live feeders...
I love him!

seafoordcooker

The only thing good about groupers is that they are good seafood to eat. They are not the best fish to keep in a tank as they are very aggressive and will destroy everything else in your tank. I would suggest getting something easier and more tame.
Chris
Orlando Seafood Restaurant