hair alage/ high phosphate

u mike

I really need some help with getting my phosphate under control.I just tested my water phos # was 0.1 nitrate was 0 , ph was good. the hair alage is out of control again. was at lfs last night they suggested I do a 20 gal water change on wed (my normal change day), also will take out all rock that has alage on it and scrub it off. light are on for 8 hours. I am running a canister filter,I do regular wc of 10 gal per week, should I up that to 15/ 20 to help get phos down.also one problem I have is the bubble tip is on the rock that has the most alage . is it safe to take that rock out go directly into old water keep the bubble tip in old water then scrub the rest of that rock.
also the alage is 10 times what you see in the pic

small triggers

wha tdo you run in your canister and when was the last time you cleaned it? also,, you need to find out what is making your phos high,,, are you just over feeding? do you need to change your bulbs? doing larger water changes will help, but it wont solve the problem...and are you running your daylights for 8 hours or is that your whole light schedule

u mike

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3233059
wha tdo you run in your canister and when was the last time you cleaned it? also,, you need to find out what is making your phos high,,, are you just over feeding? do you need to change your bulbs? doing larger water changes will help, but it wont solve the problem...and are you running your daylights for 8 hours or is that your whole light schedule
I run the small cermic tubes & small rock looking particles that came with the filter ( all around 3 years old ) I clean the canister once a month.I use a ehieem , I clean the two pads that are in there every other week. feeding schedule is one day live brine small amount. nothing nexy day third day I feed pellet (only drop in one at a time make sure every one gets something (nothing gets left laying around).lights are close to needing a change right around june . total light time is 8 hours.

black cobra

You could run something like what I use and have had amazing results with. Its a NextReef Phos Reactor, with Rowaphos. It litterally only took 2 days to take my Phosphates down to zero.
Fo the hair algae you could always try a sea hare. They make short work or hair algae x1000000000

u mike

Originally Posted by BLACK COBRA
http:///forum/post/3233089
You could run something like what I use and have had amazing results with. Its a NextReef Phos Reactor, with Rowaphos. It litterally only took 2 days to take my Phosphates down to zero.
Fo the hair algae you could always try a sea hare. They make short work or hair algae x1000000000
I looked it up on google something to look into. for now i need to clean the rocks .

shobby

I used Dr. G's phosphate remover and it brought my phosphates to zero, but I still have a hair algae problem. Good luck with it.
Shell