hair algae out of control...

cvetnich

sorry below is what you need to look up.
Algae MagicTM is 100% organic. It takes the natural chemistry of the past and transforms it to the present. Clarity of the water relates directly to a water-balanced tank. Algae MagicTM provides the ability to lower the food supply of the nuisance algae. This event can take a short amount of time but it is not instantaneous. The objective of the formulation allows the desired plant growth to deal with wastes in the tank to more efficiently maintain better oxygenation. As the increased aerobic conditions of the tank predominate, nuisance algae will still exist (because this is the natural state of the life cycle), however, they will not predominate and cause displeasing aesthetics. Algae MagicTM when added to your tank will fortify your plants' leaf structure. The by-product of this effect enhances oxygenation within the tank and adds an additional food source for animal life. As the plants and microscopic creatures respond to the enhanced environment, the tank naturally clears of visible wastes and nuisance algae – creating an awesome view.

ninjamini

Originally Posted by cvetnich
Algae MagicTM

Perhaps. But the natural way, is better. Think those shrimp biotpes that were popular a few years ago. A perfect balance of food and nutrients. That is what you want to create.
Also just because its 100% organic does not mean its good for your tank. My pee is 100% organic but you dont want me to pee in your tank.
Best I figure either cvetnich is a new-be or a shill. Either way be warry of adding anything into your tank. But then on the other hand whats the difference. Its not like you have hundreds of dollars invested into....o wait ....
There I go again makin friends. No offense cvetnich

coral keeper

Ok. Thanks for the info everyone!! I all ready have a fuge with chaeto in it. So, I should feed my maroon clown fish every other day or every 2 days? Should i rip off the algae in a bucket or in another empty tank with some saltwater or in the DT? What do you mean no food and no lights? I don't have another tank i can put them in. Should i turn the light hours to 5-6 hours a day? Can you give me a list of how many emeralds, turbos, nass, and other things i should add into my tank. Its a 8 gallon bio cube.

ninjamini

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
Ok. Thanks for the info everyone!! I all ready have a fuge with chaeto in it. So, I should feed my maroon clown fish every other day or every 2 days? Should i rip off the algae in a bucket or in another empty tank with some saltwater or in the DT? What do you mean no food and no lights? I don't have another tank i can put them in. Should i turn the light hours to 5-6 hours a day? Can you give me a list of how many emeralds, turbos, nass, and other things i should add into my tank. Its a 8 gallon bio cube.

O Boy. feed dim every other day. But only a little. 1 pelete at a time. so you know he eats it and only give him 3-4 total.
Pull out the rocks one at a time. Use a bucked big enough to dip the rock. fill it with salt water. I used a papertowel to grab the algae. Its slippery. Get off as much as you can and then repeate the next day or two. Take the lights to 4 hours a day. Its a 8 gallon. 1 emerald, 1 mexican snail, turbos. The mexican is doomed in this tank long term. So take him home. let him do his work then return him.
Now stop pming me to get me to look here. I will see it.

coral keeper

Ok. Thanks for the info!! So get 1 emerald, 1 Mexican Turbo snail, and 1 Turbo/Astrea Snail right? Ill sell him or give it to a local reefer who has hair algae problems when hes done. Ill stop pming you. Sorry.

ninjamini

naw thats cool. get 4 turbos total. it you already have 3 then get 1 or 2 more. You can keep the mexican for 2 months or so then give him away.

ninjamini

4 hours or so. Less light the better. Also think that light closer to 20k and further from 6500k is better.

jabels5

I am new to this and I may be asking some dumb questions, but I am trying to learn. What is cheato, I have seen it refered to several times.

buckster71

cheato is a live algea that aquarist use either in the tank, refuguim, or algea scrubber (filter) used to remove phosphates, nitrates, and other excess nutrients from the tank.
Cheato is kind of like a big green ball of algea and is probably the most widely used.

ninjamini

Originally Posted by buckster71
cheato is a live algea that aquarist use either in the tank, refuguim, or algea scrubber (filter) used to remove phosphates, nitrates, and other excess nutrients from the tank.
Cheato is kind of like a big green ball of algea and is probably the most widely used.
It is considered the only one to use.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by ninjamini
4 hours or so. Less light the better. Also think that light closer to 20k and further from 6500k is better.
I mean like should i have the lights for 4 hours a day for a month, week, 2 weeks?

sh00tist

When you have the rocks out use a toothbrush on them after you pull the stuff off and rinse well with tank water.

reefstar22

Originally Posted by davidjapw
How can I get hair algae under control?
It is only growing on the sand bed right now but it is spreading quickly. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it? I don't want it to spread on to the reef itself.

Siphon the as much out as you can.
Switch your water to RO/DI and a salt with a low/no silica count.
Do a 30% water change with it.
Run phos-lock/carbon
This should fix the issue.
Also make sure your tank doesn't have direct contact with sun light. - That could cause the problem. - I however intentionally have my tank near a window, but if your tank has phosphates its going to make the tank go crazy with alege.
Best of luck,
~Chris