half black angel--reef concerns

clarkiiboi

I am planning on moving it to my (so-called) reef. I know its 50/50 with angels, but just wanted to see what others have experienced. Anyone have one in a reef tank? and how long? Thanks.

samantha68

I had an angel in my reef tank but mine was a queen and it died do to it scratching it's eyes out on the rocks,the pet store said they do but i came on here and was told no they don't but indeed it did...plus they pick on feather dusters and my star fish aswell as my flame scallops...he swam around and couldn't see for a day then he died,his eyes were scratched so bad that all you could see was white

clarkiiboi

Sorry to hear about your queen angel. Queens are large angels (and I believe are not reef safe), the half-blacks are dwarfs. Anyone else?

firedad720

i've had a cherib pygmy angle in my reef for about 3 weeks, not long i know, and so far i've not seen it bother anything but alge on glass and rocks. but like i said i've only had him in there for 3 weeks.
rick

clarkiiboi

firedad720, yep that is alittle too soon to know for sure, IMO. I really want to know anyones experience with the half blacks. Maybe there is another name for it, not sure. But it is what the name implies---front half is white, back half is black. Hince half black. Anyone?

samantha68

and yes "not reef safe" but at the time i was told different by the store...Good luck finding someone who can help you

reefgirl

I had a half black in my 180g reef that totally decimated a nice hammer. It started nipping corals upon introduction & seemed to especially love all LPS. I had to rip my tank apart to get him out & would NEVER trust one again.
RG.

coralfreak

a half-black would be great! i have a 14 inch koran angel in my reef and doesnt touch a thing...a dwarf is harmless...believe me I've got a rusty angel in there too and I had a half black in there but sold him 4 the rusty.

reefgirl

a half-black would be great! i have a 14 inch koran angel in my reef and doesnt touch a thing...
Ok, my mistake - please listen to "coralfreak" who has a 14" Koran in his 55g reef. My guess is that it doesn't bother any corals as it can't turn around to get to them....LOL

Seriously - avoid a half-black. They're cute & inexpensive but definitely not reef safe. If you must have a small angel, consider the multicolor. They're a bit pricey but mine has never bothered a coral (even SPS) in 4 years.
RG :D

clarkiiboi

Thanks all. I'll play it safe and leave my coral beauty in the reef (been there 2 years with no problems) and the half-black in the FOWLR. I was going to switch their tanks not add them together, just to clarify. :)