halide heating ??

dailey76

I have a 45g tall tank 36w x 12w x 24h. I am trying to upgrade my lighting to mh but am told the heat is too much for my canopy. I only have 9 inches from canopy top to the water and i do have a glass cover. I am wanting to run one halide with 2 96 watt pc light to supplement i will be wusing a push pull fan configuration to help with heat but I have been told that these lights would heat up enough to break the glass cover. If any one know if this is the case let me know. I am planning on at least 150w halide. And I currently have not decided my livestock yet but just want a versitle seteup. Any help is appreciated.

acrylic51

I'd try to get the MH at least 12" from the surface of the water and definitely remove the glass top regardless of using MH's or not.....

dailey76

since there is the clearance issue should i instead run 4 96w pc's ? And if so would they need fans for heat. Also would there be any limits on what could grow with them? I have read that if running that type system should use actonic bulbs and 5500k-10k bulbs with a ratio of 1:1 is this correct?

acrylic51

IMO the best bang for the buck would be to run T5's instead of PC's.....JMO, but think you'll get better light output from the T5's

dailey76

so you think i would do better with something like an icecap 660 and run 4 vho's? how much heat do they put out and are they as long lasting as the pc's?

nanahugs

I run the T5 bulbs which are HO and cooler running than MH. There is also a fan in my unit that blows the heat out before it can heat up anything. My unit is also sitting on my glass canopy with no problems. I am looking into MH because I have a BTA, but I am also leary of the heat output and having to use a chiller in my 40G tank. Good luck in your search.

juiced_rl

I just went through this issue in my canopy
Remove the glass you need the gas to exchange but will have more evaporation(speaking of I need to check my sump today)
I had a space issue for fans and I ended up putting one in the middle top to blow air at the water

and I put one on the side to blow air across the water

I ended up disconnecting the top fan and just have the one blowing across the water the temp only changes about 2/10 of a degree.
When I had both fans going it would drop the temp like crazy it would drop a full degree in less then three minutes and keep going
One fan should be plenty

dailey76

juiced how big of a tank do you have? i was looking to do the exact same thing one fan on top one on the side. I like the idea if heat builds up that both will cool down tank. you never know when the ac in the house could go out. So if i remove the glass how much of a difference in water loss would i ecpect i maybe replace 2 gallons a week now.