Hard to read threads

salty blues

I am not trying to come off as some writing or grammar expert because I am not. That said, I did learn the basics in school. Trying to read some threads here is annoying due to the lazy way some people write them. No punctuation or capital letters when needed makes thoughts run together and when you add in all the incorrectly spelled words, a lot of stuff just doesn't make sense sometimes.
Does this bug anybody else?

itom37

Originally Posted by salty blues
I am not trying to come off as some writing or grammar expert because I am not. That said, I did learn the basics in school. Trying to read some threads here is annoying due to the lazy way some people write them. No punctuation or capital letters when needed makes thoughts run together and when you add in all the incorrectly spelled words, a lot of stuff just doesn't make sense sometimes.
i dn't kno what ur talking abt. lolzzzz!11.
Frankly, writing like that on message boards is stylistically egregious, but I can at least understand it. There are a few people, and I don't know off the top of my head who, that write as you said with no capitalizations and no punctuation. It can be very difficult to follow. I mentioned it to one guy because I simply could not understand his question.
Anyway, of course people can type however they like, especially in an informal setting like this, but YES its' a bit annoying and it OFTEN detracts from what they're trying to do which is obtain or provide information.

dogstar

I agree. Im not any scholar either but I do try to post a readable post.
Do like I do and ignore them. If they can't respect all the members enough to try and post a readable post for all members to read, then dont respond.
If they want help or a discussion, then IMO, they should make themselves clearer.

peef

Check this out, I learned this in school....it is readable if you just go for it
The Hmaun mnid can raed any txet as lnog as the frsit and lsat ltetres are in the crrocet palecs. Our biran olny sacns the wrods and "raeds" the frist and lsat ltetres.

alix2.0

the only thing that bothers me is when people dont punctuate (except for apostrophes), And When They Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word. when i read it it sounds like every word is starting a new sentence.
idk idk idk

dinki

I guess I'll jump on board and throw in the abuse of text messaging shorthand. Is it really that hard to type 'before'u instead of 'b4'? Now w8 1 minute! :p

salty blues

Something else I don't get is when some people add an apostrophe to plural nouns. Example: I have five snail's in my tank. I see this a lot.

mfp1016

Salty,
It bugs the hell out of me. I have hard to not taking people's posts with a grain of salt unless it has basic grammatics and decent spelling.

wangotango

Some abbreviations are ok, like IMO, pics, LOL, etc. "I no", "Kewl" (not to insult anyone in particular) and "like OMG, like my fish are like dying" just ticks me off. You don't have to post or use a sophisticated vocabulary as if you're taking your SAT or if it's being graded, but you should be able to use the English language whether you went to public school, private, whatever.
The wrong uses of there, their, they're, to, too, two, were, we're, its, it's, get to me after a while too, and no it's not just the little kids.
-Justin

nano reefer

Originally Posted by peef
Check this out, I learned this in school....it is readable if you just go for it
The Hmaun mnid can raed any txet as lnog as the frsit and lsat ltetres are in the crrocet palecs. Our biran olny sacns the wrods and "raeds" the frist and lsat ltetres.
that as figured out by some university. As long as the first and last letters are in place, the other letters can be crambled up.

mie

Here we go ago again.
We just had this discussion a few weeks ago and it was an ugly, lengthy, debate.

darknes

IM NOT TRYNG 2 COM3 OF AS SOMA WRITNG OR GRMMAR AXPERT B/C IM NOT!11!! WTF LOL TAHT SADE I DID LAARN DA BASIS IN SKOOL!!11!! OMG TRYNG 2 RAAD SOME THREADS HERE SI ANOYNG DU3 2 DA LAZY WAY SOME P3OPLA WRIET TH3M!111111!! NO PUNCTUATION OR CAPITAL L3TERS WH3N NEDED MAEKS THOUGHTS RUN 2GATHER AND WHAN U AD IN AL DA INCORECTLEY SP3LED WORDS A LOT OF STUF JUST DO3SNT MAEK S3NSA SOMATIEMS
DO3S!1!!!111 WTF LOL THES BUG ANYBODY ELSA
??????!!? LOL
Does that help?
http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files...ranslator.html

salty blues

Originally Posted by mie
Here we go ago again.
We just had this discussion a few weeks ago and it was an ugly, lengthy, debate.
I suppose I wonder if people are just lazy or stupid.

Originally Posted by mfp1016
Salty,
It bugs the hell out of me. I have hard to not taking people's posts with a grain of salt unless it has basic grammatics and decent spelling.

??? proper grammer ???

renogaw

Originally Posted by alix2.0
the only thing that bothers me is when people dont punctuate (except for apostrophes), And When They Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word. when i read it it sounds like every word is starting a new sentence.
idk idk idk

that's because someone is typing with all caps.
the program automatically de-caps the whole thing. NOW, IF THEY dID THIS, THEN THE WHOLE THING STAYS CAPS.

ruaround

Originally Posted by Hydrodamoper
??? proper grammer ???
you mean grammar???

but youre right there isnt a word "grammatics"... grammatically correct would be the proper use... but what do i know i rarely punctuate or capitolize anything... its a freakin message board... now if it was an english message board i could understand the frustration...

flricordia

wHAT I HATE IS THAT i HAVE TO LOOK AT THE KEYBOARD AS i WRITE AND SOMETIMES HIT THE CAPS LOCK AND HAVE TO GO BACK AND REDO IT ALL. bUT SINCE THAT ISN'T ONE OF THE PEEVS HERE i WON'T BOTHER ANYMORE.

jennythebugg

Originally Posted by ruaround
you mean grammar???

but youre right there isnt a word "grammatics"... grammatically correct would be the proper use... but what do i know i rarely punctuate or capitolize anything... its a freakin message board... now if it was an english message board i could understand the frustration...

ecooper

Originally Posted by salty blues
I have a doctoral degree in psychology and proof students' papers all the time. Yes, the writing bothers me, but really only the basics. When I'm on a thread and can't read it, I just stop reading and go about my business.
With that said, typos are easy to make. And, there's no spellcheck on forums. So, as far as I'm concerned, if the author is mostly ok, I'll read it. If not, I ignore it and perhaps the person has missed out on some little tidbit of information I might happen to have.
For the most part, I can overlook most of the writing errors. What I hate is when people are mean. That, I can't stand...