harlequin tuskfish

doggie

I've wanted a harlequin tuskfish for awhile now but just haven't pulled the trigger.
So I'm at the lfs about a week ago just standing there talking to the guy that works there. All of a sudden a lady comes up to him and asks if he'd take this fish off her hands. This fish was in such bad shape you could hardly tell what it was. It was almost completely white and just laying at the bottom of this bucket. Long story short he told her he wasn't taking that fish and asked if i wanted it.
I have a Q tank that is always ready to go that just has a damsel in it. So I took the chance. The fish is still a little shy, esp when I get the camera out but it's eating great and it cracks me up. The damsel is not happy about this new addition and the tusk cant catch it. I watched it try to catch the damsel for a good 2 hours today. It's color is really starting to come back also.
I've done a lot of research on them before cause i wanted one anyway. I know they eat hermits and snails, but so do my trigger and puffer. I just keep buying more of them.
Does anyone have one of these?
Is there anything I should know about this fish that may surprise me? I don't like being shocked.
I love the way it swims around looking for stuff to eat. And man can it eat!!!
Thanks.

kylev

It will definetely eat snails and hermits, but is a very cool fish. I'd just google it and read up to learn more

juniors04

Awsome fish! Mine is going on 2 years soon. They are not to aggresive. They love to eat. Good luck with yours
Heres a Pic of mine.

doggie

I love it so far. I told my lfs to stock up on hermits and snails once i get it into the DT. It's colors are really starting to come back. Lets see if I can figure out how to post pics, even though they are not real good.

srfisher17

Good luck with this guy, they are incredible fish. It looks like you're making progress. I'd give him some pieces of fresh shrimp; soaked on a vitamin like Selcon; a vital menu item, IMO. They love most fresh seafood; like shrimp, scallops, squid and saltwater fish flesh. Good frozen foods are good as well. Like most wrasse, they are jumpers, so a covered tank is essential. I had two jump before I learned this. Don't worry if he stays shy, they can stay that way forever; but I have two that are finger tame.Also, in spite of being big, robust fish; they generally are ok with any fish they can't eat---pretty much ignore most tankmates.

doggie

Thanks,
My LFS guy told me they were jumpers, that's not a problem. My tank is always on lock-down because of my eel, lol.

djleder

I had a Harlequin Tuskfish a couple of years ago,I remembered spending over 100 dollars on it,but I could not resist how cool it looked!!!!!!