Has anyone seen this

t316

I had not seen this site specifically. I agree that Bangs are easily bred in captivity (I just delivered 28 babies to my lfs recently), however I think the tree huggers somewhat over exagerate the seriousness of the situation in the wild.
Personally, I would not sign a petition. Rather, as more stores receive local bred fish, the stores will quit ordering this fish from suppliers who take them from the ocean. I know my lfs's don't have to worry about it...I seem to have a new brood on a regular basis that I am just trying to get rid of.

mantisman51

There's a biologist who is documenting the rehabilitation of a reef on the coast of Cebu Philippines. The use of whatever that poison it is they use to stun and capture fish had nearly destroyed the reef there. And from what the biologist said, there are hundreds of miles of reefs all around the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia that are barren and brown. I tend to take enviro-whackos with a grain of salt, but you can google it and see the devastation yourself.

angler man

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3156339
There's a biologist who is documenting the rehabilitation of a reef on the coast of Cebu Philippines. The use of whatever that poison it is they use to stun and capture fish had nearly destroyed the reef there. And from what the biologist said, there are hundreds of miles of reefs all around the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia that are barren and brown. I tend to take enviro-whackos with a grain of salt, but you can google it and see the devastation yourself.
Are you talking about cyanide?

aquaknight

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3156339
*whispers
And don't tell anyone I told you this, but for fish/corals/inverts, stuff from Cebu is actually preferable to other locations in the general "Indo-Pacific."
While I'm not familiar with the study you're referring to, indeed bad collection practices have wiped out chunks of reef in that region. Though I am a bit weary of the possible big exaggeration of saying "hundreds of miles" of reef.
About the OP, first, I hope every realizes online petitions are worthless as far as legal value. Second, about Banggai, the very nature of a mouth brooder means that reproduction rates are significantly slower then broadcast spawners, which can reproduce nightly. However if there is actually cause for concern about wild Banggai's, my opinion is not really. Anyone who I've read actually visited the areas have noted there to be 'significant quantities' of Banggai. And if you factor in that nobody knows the origins of this, it was like an overnight thing, "Banggai's are in trouble." Perhaps a push by vendors to raise the prices of existing Banggai's, or by those in the aquaculture business to sell their captive-bred specimens instead.