Has my tank started to cycle?

tacks

I recently started up my 125 again. I have about 90lbs of LR (not live anymore due to being in storage for about 4 years but cleaned before putting in tank) and 160lbs of LS recently purchased. I added the sand when I had about 60 gallons of water made (didn't have the room to make anymore). It tooks a few days for the rest of the water to be made but I had a powerhead in the tank circulating the water. Anyway, after being filled completely, I checked the ammonia, found to be at 0.6-0.8!!! My product water is showing 0 ammonia so it's definately something in the tank. Is the sand enough to start the cycle? I know it's nothing from the rock. I was planning on adding some raw shrimp to start the cycle but now, I'm not so sure.

lexluethar

Sounds like your cycle has already started. I would assume from the LR that you placed in the tank - that is a lot of LR (its a good thing) and more than likely there was still dead things on the LR. Like you stated before, there is nothing else alive on the LR, but those dead citters and plants would still decompose in the water, creating ammonia. Even though you cleaned these rocks off, it is highly doubtful that you got EVERY crevis in EVERY rock.
Nothing to be worried about, it is a good thing, just means you don't have to worry about that raw shrimp

tacks

One more question cause it's been a while. Once the tank completes the cycle, what do you buy first? Fish or cleanup crew?

nycbob

cleanup crew 1st, then maybe 1 or 2 hardy fish within a 2 week period. but if u r thinking of adding something more sensitive, i'd wait at least 2 months for the tank to stabilize.