Having a Dahhhh Moment...Help?

I am not too clear on my QT after the fish are gone from it. Ok so after the fish are out I clean out everything and disinfect it. New filter media and then do I fill it back up and let it cycle? I have the fish in it now doing a hypo treatment for ich. Just wanted to know what happens after the fish are gone. Thanks.

jay0705

Let it run as is. Most nasties need fish, so when it runs fishless they will die. Then when u need it its cycled and ready

flower

Hi,

Everyone has their own way. I don't keep my QT up and running because I seldom have to replace fish and my tank is stocked. I did keep it going when I was stocking my tank that first time, since every time I put a fish into the display, I was ready to add the next new fish to the QT.

I keep sponge filter media running on the display tank...when I need a quarantine or hospital tank, that material is used in the HOB filter, which means instant cycled, for that one fish that needs to be in it. Very little good bacteria is in the water, it's all on the hard surfaces, since there is no sand used on a QT/HT, the loaded with good bacteria media is all that's needed. If you run a sump system you can even toss the intake tube in a chamber below, to be covered with good bacteria as well.

If my 10g is being used as a quarantine, I also add macro algae (caulerpa prolifera), in a hospital tank the macros can't be used. Macros help to keep the water quality good, and that makes it worth it's weight in gold when it comes to small tanks. If the new fish needs treatment, I remove and toss out the macro before I dose the medicine.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you plan to immediately place new fish in QT, no need to break it down. Do a maintenance cleanup and allow it to be fallow for month.

Awesome input! You all rock! I shall do a maintenance clean up and will put some sponge media in the DT filter to capture the good bacteria. I don't plan on getting any new fish yet so I'll be sure to wait about a month. Thanks again for all your help.
Drew