Help Designing Sump for two tanks

jmesmcm

Currently working on designing a sump which will run two tanks and am looking for opinions on the best design for such a system. The sump is goign to measure 42"*18"*18" and have an estimated capacity of 60 gallons. Tank1 is a 120 gallon SPS tank on the first floor of the house with the sump in the basement. Tank2 is a 90 gallon SPS frag/play tank in the basement with the sump.
I was thinking of having connecting the two 1" drains from the 120 into a single 1.5" drain entering the bottom of the right end of the sump. Then a 1" outlet on the same end of the sump which will feed the UV sterilizer, chiller, and skimmer before returning to the same end of the sump.
Then in the center of the sump having a refugium and bubble baffle before overflowing into the return chamber on the left which will have a dolphin ampmaster returning to the 120 gallon tank upstairs and and an iwaki WMD40RLXT running the return to the 90.
Any thoughts?

reefforbrains

so in a nutshell you just going to run a y pipe for a merge like a clean-out into a dump for pick up. If your overflows are larger than your return then you will be all set, just make an adjustable gate so you can regulate for flow between tanks because of the draw to one tank will be signifigantly less then the other for lift.

jmesmcm

Yes both tanks are using the megaflows by all-glass so the drains are 1" and the returns are 3/4" in both tanks. More a question of where in the loop to put the chiller, skimmer and UV. I was thinking of daisy chaining the three of them and returning back to the sump but am worried that this may not be as effective as necessary. On teh 120 I am running 2*400w 20K halides and 2*96 watt PCs and the 90 which hasn't been set up yet will be running 2*175 watt halides with 2*130watt PCs.
In my current setup I go from the sump to the UV to the skimmer and back to the sump and then have only one side of the return to the 120 passing through the chilller on it's return to the tank. This seems to be restricting my flow to much as I am currently running a Sequence Marlin pump (2050 gallons per hour about 1750 at 15' of head) and am having flow issues in the 120. Also my current sump is way to small to pull much more through it as it is only 22 gallons of which only about 10 is usable in case of a loss of power.