help, fighting fish :(

lirpa

Ive had a marine betta fr 2 months now, and decided to make a final addition to my tank. (55 gallon) I bought a lemon peel angel fish. I did some research on both, and both were labeled as peaceful, hardy fish. I noticed today that there are some large pieces of the betta's tail missing. I can only assume its the angelfish. I thought they'd be ok. Does the betta look too similar to another angel? What should I do??

ophiura

Huh, I really couldn't disagree more with that classification.
The Marine Betta, IMO, is a somewhat shy retiring fish that can be a bit overwhelmed in a typical community tank, and often don't survive a long time. The lemonpeel is one of the "nastiest" of the dwarf angels. It does have an attitude for sure.
What other fish do you have in the tank?

lion_crazz

I would probably remove the angel if he is messing with your betta. As ophiura said, lemon peels are an aggressive angelfish. Usually, it is the new fish who is picked on at first. This is normal because the fish you currently have in the tank are used to their territory, and see this new fish as a possible threat. When a new fish is picking on a current fish in your tank, you know you usually have a problem.

lirpa

I also have 2 clown fish, a sixline wrasse, a longnose hawkfish, scooter blennie, and the betta. The angel was going to be my last. Any other suggestions for a better (but still colorful) final addition?
Thanks alot