help ID this guy

pinky327

I just got this tank, it came with these two fish crush coral and a boat, I have added rocks some hermitcraps and "spaghittie alga" (not sure if thats the real name). I was told that they are a clown fish and a trigger, well the blue one does not look anything like the triggers i have seen. Any ideas would be awesome. He is a ligh grayish blue body, light blue eye, yellow on the the top of his head goin towards his back stopping halfway, the bottom fins are deep blue with the back having a bright electric blue strip.

pinky327

Ok thnak you so much thats a place for me to startt looking. Ill google a bunch and see what i get. Also Ill try to get a couple more pictures. its fast and loves the caves so its hard to get good pictures.

pinky327

Thanks i like it too!!! hmmmm well I hope it ok. i know I didn't buy it but its been in the take for over 3 years.... and these fish are very attached so I thought it would be best for them if i left it.... I know there are all kinds of fake coral that's salt water safe so I'm guessin the ship is the same.

scarecrow

Ya it must be if it has been in there for three years i, I have just started a saltwater tank my first , I am not very knowledgable about the whole hobby but learning and hopping to get some nice things right now I have three blue devil damsels and two clowns with rock and hermit crabs.

pinky327

Nice Im lacking in the knowledge too man but learning every day! I like the sound of your tank, I got three electric blue legged hermits and threw in a few extra shells for them and looks within 3 days the largest of crabs has moved. I watched and watch as he would grab a shell and spin in around and then look inside and spin it some more and look inside it was so cool. Naturally he did the big move in the dark somewhere but not another one popped into the big ones old shell so i guess they are enjoying the new digs.. Question for ya do your damsels dig? mine is a regular construction crew it cleared out the cave for more room i guess but its extremely funny to catch him in the act he will zip out and see me and drop the rocks and swim away lol! I may not have the coolest tank but i still love watching my lil ocean cube!!

pinky327

Hmm jewel damsel I'm gonna look that up I looked into the wards and the connie and they really dont match. Thanks for all the help

deton8it

My guess would be a changing "Black Damselfish" or "Bluefin Damselfish" (Neoglyphidodon melas) The name is different at different places. Your's has the same pelvic fin coloring and a slight yellow stripe on the head, It hasn't finished it's color transformation yet. That's my best guess.
John

pinky327

Just saw your suggestion John (totally lacked internet for a bit) but I am gonna look into it and post back thanks for the info, I think you are right about still changing, their original owner came by to see them and he said his color looked different I am guessing I didnt notice as much cause I see them every day. Aslo random question does anyone know how to sex these fish?? I would love to know for sure if its a He or a She??

pinky327

oh wow cool i have yet to research it because i was unsure of what type it was but I think thats really cool. It was just a random thought anyway Im pretty sure as long as i have food it could care less if i say he or she lol. With that I believe John was right it looks so much like the young Neoglyphidodon melas " Bluefin Damsel" that I say thats what he is! I knew that fish change colors as they get older but my experience is that they get duller looking I am kinda excited to see that he will actually be getting darker, it will be a really cool transformation. Im just guessing this is a older juvenile because i know the old owner had him for 3 years. My concern is so many sites stated how aggressive they get, my guy has been a bit of a dick to my clown but only a few times and the clow has a few great hiding spots to get away to, but i really hope he doesn’t get too mean. I dont like the idea of trading him in, i just have never been that kind of person, thats what the original owner said i should do with both fish and I couldnt they seem happy and i was happy just to have live fish! I also read a lot of different min. tank size does anyone have an opinion on this??

bang guy

A 5"-7" Damsel is going to be a terror to any other fish in the tank unless the tank is rather large. If it's just the Damsel you could probably do fine with a 55 gallon.

pinky327

Well its him and a clown in my 29 gal bio cube.... so thats bad news i really like him too he has such personality he digs his caves out rock by rock, begs for food, eats out of my hand, does this crazy back swimming thing that looks like dancing (i spend hours watching them) I really hate the thought of trading him to the pet store
from my little research it’s the advice everyone is giving and that just makes me thing he will be unwanted at the pet store and even more unwanted by the unsuspecting fish owner who buys him….