Help me choose a lion fish!

dstoneburg

Theres so many different types, and to be honest they all look the same on their generic pics supplied by the sites selling them.
I know this is completly opinion, but in yours, what species is the most stunning?
Its going into a 100g tank with...
Koran angelfish
Porcupine puffer
Huma Huma
Lunar wrasse

mike22cha

The koran angel would need a bigger tank, IMO.
Also I think for that sized tank it'd be a lil overstocked.

srfisher17

A radiata is a beautiful lionfish. I assume the fish you have are all quite small; I agree with Mike22cha---you're running out of room (or already have); you have some fish that get huge.Also, both the porky and Huma Huma can really turn on any lion, especially when the lion is the newcomer. Not always, but often enough to be a concern.

I would vote radiata too but again your tank mates might be a problem. Have you considered going with another fish besides the trigger, because it will eventually out grow the tank. I would do a harlequin tusk, they are they one of the best looking fish out there. That plus a radiata and the 2 others would make an amazing tank...IMO

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Thoroughbred
I would vote radiata too but again your tank mates might be a problem. Have you considered going with another fish besides the trigger, because it will eventually out grow the tank. I would do a harlequin tusk, they are they one of the best looking fish out there. That plus a radiata and the 2 others would make an amazing tank...IMO
Please stop talking about harlequin tusks The price is already high and we don't want to increase demand.! I love these fish, especially the Aussies; they get along with any fish, eat anything (all inverts, too) and add a lot of typical active wrasse activity.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Please stop talking about harlequin tusks The price is already high and we don't want to increase demand.! I love these fish, especially the Aussies; they get along with any fish, eat anything (all inverts, too) and add a lot of typical active wrasse activity.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Fishyfrenzy
A huma huma can kick a lionfish, badly. From past experience, I wouldn't get a lion.
Yeah, humas can be a lot like many triggers (especially clowns); they get along for years, then go postal and attack anything. I had a 3" Huma almost kill a 7' harlequin tusk within a few hours, got him out just in time. It all depends on the individual fish much of the time.

jon321

The only lion I would put in there is a volitans or lunula, as they are not shy or slow to feed and can hold their own against all but the most satanic of humas. But on that note, either of these lions would heavily overstock your tank in notime, causing alot of problems.
All the smaller, and shier lions (like the dwarfs, radiata, antennata) would either not get any food or be bullied and killed. I once had a coral beauty angel that absolutely decimated a zebra dwarf in a matter of hours; angels, triggers, and puffers can just be like that towards shy lions sometimes.
Jon

v-lioness

The only lion I would put in there is a volitans or lunula, as they are not shy or slow to feed and can hold their own against all but the most satanic of humas.
They simply can not hold their own, and would not have a chance with that trigger. Just not a good combo.
Kaye

srfisher17

Originally Posted by V-Lioness
They simply can not hold their own, and would not have a chance with that trigger. Just not a good combo.
Kaye
I think the flowing fins of any lion are just too tempting for most triggers; then, when the trigger finds he can nip at the lion, the aggressive nature takes over.. I know they have been kept together by many people; but, there seems to be a general feeling that lions & triggers are ideal tankmates. IMO, this is simply not true; despite the number of success stories. Other species of triggers may do better, but I still don't like the pairing.

matt b

i have a humu humu with my lion and the trigger picks on the lion sumtimes but not much at all really only when the lion tales the triggers food

dstoneburg

Thank you all for the quick and informative replies! I currently have all those fish except the picasso, so from the advise you are giving im going to pass on the huma nd get a radiata...
So the stocklist will be..
Koran(3.5")
Porc(1.5")
Lunar(1.5")
Radiata
And I agree to srfisher, tusks are nothing less then etremely exquisite but their price tag definitly reflects it.

fmarini

Dstoneburg--
If i may, I'll suggest against a radiata for the time being. My primary reason is P radiatas are touchy lions, esp for new lion owners.
The fish don't ship well and they are difficult to wean over. So finding a quality one is not as easy as heading over to the LFS. Next, during the longer wean over period, it will require you to feed live foods (read ghost shrimp) for a few weeks to months, and of course w/ a tank full of fast swimmers, lionfish won't get a lions share of the food. Infact I would even suggest that if you do consider a P Antennta or Radiata that you wean them in a Q tank away from competition, and once they are eating prepared food, then introduce them into the tank w/ more food aggressive tankmates.
Lastly, I will also suggest you do a google search for "lionfish info sheet" and spend some quality time reading about the various lionfish available and what it will take to care for them. If you own Scott Michaels book Reef fish volI it also has a great section on scorpionfish-well worth the read
frank

srfisher17

Infact I would even suggest that if you do consider a P Antennta or Radiata that you wean them in a Q tank away from competition, and once they are eating prepared food, then introduce them
I think all lions should always be weaned while in QT.

Originally Posted by srfisher17

I have never seen a Harlequin Tusk for more than 200 dollars in store or online. A 10 year old with a paper rout could scrape together enough to get one. So save those pennies and stop trying to be so hush hush about them

hammerhed7

I would also go against a lion with the puffer and trigger, even larger angles are known to beat on lions. Also you would have a hard time trying to wean a lion with the big eaters in you tank, he would initially have trouble competing for food

dstoneburg

I QT all my fish for 1 month. I have am one of the lucky ones in regards to LFS's as I have a great one. Theyve had a beatiful atennnena for about 3.5 months now. Eats frozen like theres no tommorow. Hes about 6inches and $50.. Very healthy looking, and its so tempting. What are yall's thoughts?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Thoroughbred
I have never seen a Harlequin Tusk for more than 200 dollars in store or online. A 10 year old with a paper rout could scrape together enough to get one. So save those pennies and stop trying to be so hush hush about them

I'm anything but hush hush; I talk about them every chance I get.....I doubt anyone would think I was serious about keeping quiet and talking so positively about them at the same time. BTW, if someone wants one, better hurry. They are much less plentiful in the winter months.