Help Me Fill It!!

jenni620

I just got a great deal on a 29 gallon bowfront. Promblem is, I don't know what to put in it! lol Any suggestions? Mantis shrimp? Fuzzy dwarf by himself? Seahorses? A coral beauty and a clown? What would you do with it???

rykna

Originally Posted by jenni620
I just got a great deal on a 29 gallon bowfront. Promblem is, I don't know what to put in it! lol Any suggestions? Mantis shrimp? Fuzzy dwarf by himself? Seahorses? A coral beauty and a clown? What would you do with it???
WOW...well let's see here......
Mantis shrimp is out IMHO...cool but they have a bad reputation for busting tanks.
I vote for Seahorse, first choice, however, that depends if you have the time for them, and mean really
have the time for them.
I like the fuzzy dwarf idea...some day I would like a tank devoted to a Lion.
If you can keep the tank at 68 degrees I go with the catalina goby! Wow are they pretty.
And if you are up to taking on seahorses the other option is pipe fish.
You could make it into a crab tank...there are lots of neat crabs` teddy bear, strawberry, etc.
Or a Shrimp tank...a clan of sexy shrimp is funny to watch.
Another tank only invert is a green brittle star...beautiful star, but is also known as "The Green Death" due to it's varacious appetite.

jenni620

well, the tank is acrylic, so i actually could do a mantis....i love sehorses, but i probably don't have quite as much time as they need...maybe i will do a fuzzy, or maybe i will just turn it into an invert tank! thanks for the suggestions! anyone else??

fish addict

I agree w/ you either a fuzzy dwarf tank possibly a reef later on (not sure if fuzzy dwarfs are reef safe?) or an invert tank shrimps are so cool! Sexy shrimp, fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, like 10 different types of hermits (are there that many? lol) that would be one cool tank!

jenni620

the only thing about a fuzzy is that he would probably be the only thing in there; is that boring? also, i have a 40 gallon that is going to be a reef and i am getting a zebra lion for that. i want something a little different. i don't know; there are so many possibilities!! maybe i could just do a bunch of different kinds of damsels. i know they are mean, but if i got a couple of different kinds, that might look kinda cool...new tanks are so exciting!

29g would be great for a Odontodactylus Scylarrus, aka the Peacock Mantis Shrimp. Lots of color, great personalities, mine has been out and about rearranging stuff. With small pieces of rubble though, including ones with coral, he will move to where he likes it though. I just had to move some toadstool and xenia because i didn't like where he put it. Any questions with mantis shrimp I'm sure I can help you out. I don't have any experience with the other tanks suggestion. Goodluck!

jenni620

these are all great suggestions! I think I am narrowing it down....keep 'em coming though!!
thanks everyone!

ophiura

My question is do you have other tanks (if so, what) or is this your first saltwater tank?
What lighting does it have? Filtration? How much more can you invest in it?

jenni620

yes, i have a 90 gallon fowlr that has been up and running for about 9 months now. i also have a 40 gallon that recently finished cycling; its going to be a reef. i am just looking for something different for this one
i don't think i want to make this one into a reef also, so i don't need fancy lighting or anything.

ophiura

That helps :)
I think the more interesting things would be the peacock mantis, or perhaps jawfish.
A small octopus is also a possibility.

rykna

Well...if it were me I'd start cycling the tank, make a list of all the options that I was interested in. Do research on the canidates, and start narrowing down the list.
I've had 4 salt tanks running all at one time...very pricey and time consuming. I've down graded to one tank now with my seahorse, which takes daily dedication to ensure a happy healthy horse.

jenni620

thanks!!! it's going to be a while before i have to decide on anything; i'm not even picking the tank up until thursday! so i have a looong way to go before anything living goes in there! ophiura, what kind of octopus could go in a 29? that's a new idea; i hadn't even considered one of those!! hmmmm....
maybe i will look into that. thanks for the suggestion!

jenni620

okay, nevermind on the octo
i was reading some old threads that said no octo should go in a 29 gallon. oh well. the mantis is still a strong possibility!

lesleybird

Have you ever seen one of those cool looking anglers? They come in yellow and red and other colors and are the most amazing looking agressive fish that must be kept by himself as they eat small fish, but they are reef safe if you get the lighting to do corals. Lesley

Yes some frogfish are really cool looking, but can get kinda expensive. I've seen some for as much as 200$ for wartskins, the frogfish I used to have was all yellow and was about 24$. :) great fish

jenni620

Yeah, the anglers are pretty cool...they are sooo funny looking!! lol. But, I think we have decided to go for a peacock mantis!!
I'm so excited!