help me please

big-fish

my banggai cardinalfish is only breathing throught one gill,,,i just gave him some food,and i just got 2 new corals,,,feathe duster and zooz,,, i have a clown fish and he is fine,,,,help

big-fish

i have had the fish for a month now, levels are
ph 8.5
nit. 0.0
nit 0.0
amo 0.0
salt, is in the middle of the the level it should be in

sepulatian

What is your water change schedule? What are you using to measure your salt? Are his gills inflamed at all?

big-fish

i do a water change 1 a week 20%,,,his gills are are not inflamed and he is swimming around the tank,,,and i use a hydrometer for my salt

sepulatian

Why do you think that only one gill is working? It is entirely possible but please explain what you are seeing. How long has it been that way? I don't mean to press, but refractometers are SO much more accurate. This site sells one for $39.99. I will tell you a quick story. I used to use a hydrometer. I was very meticulous about keeping my two tanks at 1.025 and 1.026. I checked and rechecked, sometimes 4x a day, just to be certain that they read the same each time. I bought a refractometer and found out that they were actually 1.030 and 1.031 respectively. Buy a refractometer. If it is reading in the middle of the normal range that would mean that your SG is around 1.019 that is quite low. Don't take the fact that my refractometer took low readings to meen that your SG could be higher. Some read high, some read low. Some give different readings every time you test. They are realy not reliable.

big-fish

my uncle just brought his refractometer over and he is testing it now,,,when i look at the fish,,,his mouth is open and one of the gills is opening and closeing while the other one is just not moving at all,,,i will post again when my uncle is done testing the salt.