Help! Metal Halide problem

frogdog

The light fixture I have uses double ended Halide bulbs. One of the bulbs will not fit into place properly. The left side of the bulb will not slide down into its slot all the way, whereas, the right side fits snug. This has caused the metal on the ends of the bulb to burn. I have broken several bulbs trying to push the left side down to match the right. Does anyone have any idea what can be done to fix this, my corals are dying.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogdog http:///forum/thread/386663/help-metal-halide-problem#post_3397528
The light fixture I have uses double ended Halide bulbs. One of the bulbs will not fit into place properly. The left side of the bulb will not slide down into its slot all the way, whereas, the right side fits snug. This has caused the metal on the ends of the bulb to burn. I have broken several bulbs trying to push the left side down to match the right. Does anyone have any idea what can be done to fix this, my corals are dying.
Did you replace the bulbs with the same brand? My coralife bulbs were smaller than the Phoenix.

tangs rule

If the metal ends of a DE bulb get "burned" - this permanantly damages the contacts in the ceramic fixture, and the fixture end has to be replaced. There is a guy on ebay I get my replacements from, and you have to take apart the fixture to change it. PM me for a link to his store, he sells the 150/175 DE style and the 250/400 w DE style - about 25 bucks I think, but it;s cheeper than a new fixture.
As far as a bulb fitting to tight in the fixture, the screw holes in the ceramic end and usually the mount in the fixture is slotted some for adjustments - allowing for easier "in/out" of the bulb - but once the contacts burn, the ceramic end has to be changed with new - it'll just burn up new bulbs ends