Help! My trigger is swimming in circles! Likely dying.

hefner413

I got this blue cheek trigger on Saturday. Everything has been great. It's been a bit shy, but showed no problems up until now. Tonight I walked in from work to find it swimming all over the place in backward circles. It's going nuts. It's almost like it has fish vertigo - if there is such a thing. WHAT should I do? Is there anything I can do? I assume that it will be dead soon...
Here's a video..

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How has this fish been doing before this? Eating?
Is he being harrassed by other fish, the damsel?

hefner413

it has mainly been hiding, but would come out every once in a while to swim around. I saw it eat only once, but I assumed it was just fasting with the stress. again, I've only had it 5 days now. I saw NObody bothering it. The angels and damsel and tang have all left it alone. They seemed to care less about it entirely.
I've moved it to my QT... it's still doing the same thing.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Now that he is a QT, try Maracyn Two for Saltwater Fish. I can't say that the trig actually has a bacterial infection, that is all I can see that may help out with this . Be sure QT has hiding spots.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Hefner413
http:///forum/post/3243403
thanks for flipping that for me knight.. how did you do that?
Windows movie maker, which any Windows computer should have. Then import the video, drag the video clips onto the timeline. Then go to tools -> video effects -> rotate 180°. Drag it over the movie clips in the timeline to apply, then save it (the video not the project).
For the trigger, those aren't the typical "death spirals." For whatever it's worth, a while ago we had a goldfish do the same thing, though he is still a live and well today. The video did remind me of when my Queen angel developed a swim bladder problem, but the trigger isn't at all floating to the surface. It's more like a complete loss of equilibrium like you mention.
I would second Beth Maracyn Two recommendation. If you can't find for Saltwater, only for Freshwater, it's fine. Freshwater is just half-strength of SW, double the Freshwater dosing recommendations.

hefner413

Well, unfortunately it didn't make it. I didn't figure it would, being that it just kept doing the circles until it was totally worn out last pm. This AM, it was dead. Kim with SWF.com is looking into what may be the cause. She's running it by a friend of her's - a marine biologist.
Quite a bummer. That was one beautiful fish...