Help quick!

dustyboy316

Well I woke up today and my power head and filter didn't work.
So I my fish were kinda swimming in their own mess. I went and got another filter and did a water change. My one fish is pretty much a goner. He got stuck in a cave and is sitting in the corner breathing heavily. I don't know what to do about him...
The main question is, I guess some fluff got into the tank and got stuck into my other fish's gills. I can literally pick him up, which i did and tried to remove it, but it wouldn't happen.
Edit: Just as I typed this, the dead looking clown got up and is swimming around :D. Good sign.
Will the fluff work itself out, or do I have to get it out? I can grab the guy and pull it out myself. Other than that he seems to be in good health.
Help, this is the first time in the year I've had them where anything bad has happened.

fretfreak13

Honestly, I don't think one night without flow from a powerhead or a filter would kill your fish. I'm not running anything other than a biological live rock filter on my tank and it's been like that for like four months. This sounds like a disease that was triggered by a small ammount of stress from the pumps shutting down, or the heater? Is that ok?
How old is your tank? How big? Water parameters? What's in the tank? We need some more information, and could you give us pictures of the "fluff"?

mony97

Agreed, it does sound like something else popped up outside of the filter etc shutting down.

dustyboy316

Yah it was definitely from me waiting too long to top it off then the added stress of the pump and filter off.
I feel bad, the one fish is 99.9% dead in there now, doesn't even move when I poke him :(.
I'll get some parameters later, but s.g is around 1.024 and temp is 77 or so.
I'm more worried about my healthier one who has like "fluff" in his gills. I'm positive it's a foreign object and not any infection. What to do?

dustyboy316

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3202843
HMMMMM 99.9% dead is pretty dead
What the heck is fluff???? Do you have a picture?

He's dead now... :(
Anyways it's like just fluff from a pillow or something. Must have been on my hand when I put it in trying to get the fish out of the cave. It's like stuck in his gills. He doesn't seem affected by it though, and is moving around a lot more than he has in the past few weeks. He looks pretty healthy.
My cam sucks to much to get a pic this small...