help stock my 120

chutneyjh

I'm getting a 120 long, fish only, and need help choosing its inhabitants. I'm listing some fish I like and I want to know which ones you'd recommend and why. I know I can't keep all of these fish and I know some can't be kept together for compatibility reasons, so let me know which ones you would choose.
- a pair of paddlefin wrasses (these are def. going in....my LFS has been holding them since they were killing all my inverts)
- volitan lion
- bursa trigger
- dogface puffer
- blue hippo tang
any other suggestions?

ledzep fan

Well, for one no puffers or triggers with lions.
Secondly, if I were you i would get rid of the lion on your list and get a trigger.
I also have a 120 gallon tall though. Great size in my opinion.

ledzep fan

Then I would add some other type of tang with the Hippo like a Achilles tang would be awesome. You need to add him first though.

ledzep fan

You could keep the trigger and puffer together just not a puffer and trigger with a lion.
Keep us updated and dont forget to post pics!!

chilwil84

smaller grouper like a blueline or white spot(not panther), vtail as long as your other fish have a good edge on size meaning double would be okay

chutneyjh

Is it possible to keep a blue throat or other less aggressive trigger with a lion? I've seen some pics on here of tanks with both but I don't know how it would work out long term.

ledzep fan

Some people have successfully kept some triggers, and puffers with lions. It is your tank and opinion so if you want to give it a try go ahead.

chutneyjh

Well I really want a trigger and a lion, but I don't want to subject a poor lionfish to the wrath of a trigger if it's not going to work. But if I can find a good match, I'd like to give it a try. I'm just trying to match up my own wants for this tank with responsible fishkeeping.

ledzep fan

If you are going to get a Trigger and a lion then get a Blue Throat trigger because they are the most peaceful Trigger you can get.

greenwolf52

i have a 5" niger trigger and a 9" volitan lion. they goet along just fine. no issues at all other than the trigger coming out and eating the lion's silversides before he can get to them. they have been together for about 5 months now. i've got some pics under photo forum

chutneyjh

Well turns out it's going to be a 125. I think I'll go with the blue throat trigger and the lion and be sure to monitor things closely. Now I just need to figure out what order to add these fish. I was thinking maybe the tang first but I've also heard that tangs should only be added to established tanks so I'm not sure.
Also, I'm conflicted on substrate. I was thinking a very shallow sand bed, but also think crushed coral might just be easier if I vacuum it often since these fish are going to be pretty messy. But I don't want to be changing out CC in like 4 months either. BTW Greenwolf, I loved that pic of your lion in the other thread!

mike22cha

The Blue Hippo tang should not be the first one in and if you're getting an achilles don't put that in first also. Blue Hippos are more likely to get ick than other tangs and the Achilles have a higher care level needs than other tangs. Good luck with your tank!

chutneyjh

Thanks. I will definitely not add the tang first then. I was thinking maybe the lion or wrasse first and definitely the trigger last. Does that sound doable?

wanabebell

I had good luck with my pink tail trigger and my lion
I had to feed the trigger daily because only if he got hungry hed nip at the lions fins but if he was kept full he behavied himself well and he didnt bother anybody else except he lived by a no bs policy
I dont pic on you, you dont pic on me and if you do we gonna have some problems (trigger nature comes in on the latter)

stanlalee

Originally Posted by chutneyjh
Thanks. I will definitely not add the tang first then. I was thinking maybe the lion or wrasse first and definitely the trigger last. Does that sound doable?
well the answer to that is really yes and no. From the tank maturity perspective it should probably be the last fish added but if you factor in the aggressive nature of the other fish, territorial establishments and how highly stressed hippo tangs seem to get during tank transitions you just about have to put the hippo tang in first.