help with a wild bird

crazy4reefs

i have a dug well and in the winter i cover it with hay and plastic. i took the hay and plastic off a couple of hours ago and went to do some errands. when i got back home i found this bird near the well. its looks like a baby bird but i am not sure. i do know it doesnt fly.. i just couldnt leave it outside by itself. so can anyone tell what kind of bird this is and whats the best thing i can do for the bird and maybe how to take care of it..

T

tizzo

First you hafta get some bugs and worms and chew them up real good then feed them to the bird via syringe... No, I'm kidding, but that's what they eat and their care is difficult. Other than getting him past infancy somebody needs to teach him to fly while all along keeping him afraid of humans...
Your best bet is to take him to a local vet and say you found him in your yard, they will contact a wildlife center who deals with this all the time, and I'm sure your bird will be a nice treat for them since they mostly deal with injured animals. :yes: Good luck!

crazy4reefs

thanks Tizzo, do you happen to know what kind of bird it is ? that sounds like a good idea but i dont think i can get a hold of anyone until tuesday probably. i have it inside a pet carrier with paper towles away from noise and excitement. do you think it will make it until tuesday ?

chazz66

Not positive but It looks like a woodcock to me. They are a bird from the forest,kinda like a grouse. I would take it to an animal rescue or rehab place if there is one near. :yes:

dory36

It looks pretty healthy to me. Have you tried feeding it anything? Did it eat? The pet carrier sounds like a good idea. They like quiet and warmth. I would make some calls tomorrow to see if a vet, zoo, bird sanctuary, wild animal refuge, etc. is open and could take him. Good luck!

T

tizzo

What city are you in and maybe I can help you find a place to take it that's open on the week-ends? If you touch his beak with a straw or pop sicle stick, does he open his mouth?? If not maybe he's old enough to feed himself, but I doubt he will eat soon due to fear but find a live bait shop, sometimes wal-mart sells worms or a gas station will sell crickets (around here anyway) or you can dig em up in your back yard, but put hold one in front of him with a pair of tweezers and see if he will eat it... Make sure it's just a tiny piece though...

schneidts

Best I can tell, it's a sandpiper. I'll have to find my bird book to give you an exact id, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. If the vet can't help you, do you know if there are any wildlife rescue centers in your area? We have a couple here that take wild animals that are abandoned by their mothers...maybe you have something like that near you. Good luck.

schneidts

Actually, Chazz was right, it's an American Woodcock. For some reason, I was thinking they were a little different, but it's definitely an American Woodcock. Good id Chazz.

elfdoctors

Woodcocks are usually found on the ground in a swampy area. The nests are not in a tree. You should release this bird back to the wild - otherwise it will surely die. The bird was probably picking at worms that were living in the hay on top of your well. The young survive by being camoflauged. They tend to only fly primarily only during migration and mating. It does not need your "help".

crazy4reefs

thanks everybody for your advice and caring. pretty much most people told me to put it back outside which i did sunday afternoon. i put it next to the well under some covering. and unfortunately when i checked on it monday sadly it was dead. i feel bad about it but i guess thats nature !