help with equipment to buy

wildclown

a friend of ming is building a larg auarium ( around300 gallons) to start off with no small tank for him lol. anyway i ony have a 75 gal. with over the side filtration and skimmer . i suggested to him to wait an buying the equipmet till i could ask you guys and gals what would be best and where to buy it from. also i read a lot about slumps in larger tanks what are they for and does he need one? oh and also will he need an r/o unit or can he get away with filtered water. thank you sooooo much

rhomer

With 300 gallons I would think a sump is a must. With the sump a pre-drilled tank is a whole lot better. This way you don't have noisy and less than reliable hang on overflows.
Any other equipment suggestions would all be based on what type of setup is he looking at. Is it going to be aggressive with sharks and triggers or is going to be a reef setup, or is going to be fish only. Decide on this first before looking into any other equipment to buy.
BTW who do you root for Alabama or Auburn? :thinking:
Rob

bob a.

Originally Posted by wildclown
a friend of ming is building a larg auarium ( around300 gallons) to start off with no small tank for him lol. anyway i ony have a 75 gal. with over the side filtration and skimmer . i suggested to him to wait an buying the equipmet till i could ask you guys and gals what would be best and where to buy it from. also i read a lot about slumps in larger tanks what are they for and does he need one? oh and also will he need an r/o unit or can he get away with filtered water. thank you sooooo much
He needs a good RO system since it will require alot of water to fill and makeup for evaporation. A higher end skimmer that is really rated for 300 gallons like a euroreef model would also be on my list. A sump for sure. Lots fo live rock and sand. Without knowing what he intends to keep, its hard to get more specific than that.

rhomer

Originally Posted by Bob A.
He needs a good RO system since it will require alot of water to fill and makeup for evaporation. A higher end skimmer that is really rated for 300 gallons like a euroreef model would also be on my list. A sump for sure. Lots fo live rock and sand. Without knowing what he intends to keep, its hard to get more specific than that.
Yeah realized I forgot the RO unit. This is a must. The size and type of skimmer will really depend on the type of setup you want.
Rob

wildclown

i told him all he pros and cons of the different setups and he chose to go with a setup a lot like mine ( reef + inverts + tangs + well you get the idea) anyway i think he also wants a lot of stars as well. i will tell him that the tank needs to be drilled also. btw i am an alabama fan ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!! :cheer:
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP
oh one more thing is there a type of shark that is reef safe he can get? with that large an aquarium he would have room for it right? also i am going to help him set all this up am i biting off a lot more than i know lol. and can you just buy a slump or do you have to make onelike i said my 75 gal. dowsnt need one so i have never reserched them. one ore thing i told him he had to go with metal halide lights.

rhomer

wildclown said:
Originally Posted by wildclown
i told him all he pros and cons of the different setups and he chose to go with a setup a lot like mine ( reef + inverts + tangs + well you get the idea) anyway i think he also wants a lot of stars as well. i will tell him that the tank needs to be drilled also. btw i am an alabama fan ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!! :cheer:

I have one thing to say..... 4
WAR EAGLE